Adding suspension fork

Al Regresar

Local time
12:54 PM
My Mongoose Sycamore has no front suspension (early 90’s mtb) and on a longer ride it is rather harsh. I have tri-spoke mags with discs that I want to put on the bike. The headset is a 1 “ threaded version and I found some Japanese RST forks with disc mounts that seem to work. Thoughts, comment, or concerns?

The mags are heavy and that will negatively impact performance but no real problems. Make sure the front wheel is bolted down tight though as disc brakes can pull the wheel out over time.

My Mongoose Sycamore has no front suspension (early 90’s mtb) and on a longer ride it is rather harsh. I have tri-spoke mags with discs that I want to put on the bike. The headset is a 1 “ threaded version and I found some Japanese RST forks with disc mounts that seem to work. Thoughts, comment, or concerns?
Suspension seat post also help make the ride much more comfortable.

I have tri-spoke mags with discs that I want to put on the bike.
Be sure that you do NOT inflate the tires on mag wheels to what they say is max on the tires...They will blow out due to friction and heat expansion at the speeds we can bring these MB's to...It will also ride like a Conestoga wagon with wooden wheels with iron strips over the wheels...lol.

On my mags with my Kevlar tires, they tell me on the tires 60 PSI...The tires need to have some "give" to them to help cushion the ride and not be rock hard solid as the mags do not have any "give" to them.

In my case, 38 PSI is perfect with just a bit of give you can feel when ya give the tire a squeeze to check that it is not rock hard.

DO IT!

Make sure all the balls are there and well greased. Check the for play in the headset, make sure it steers good with no for and aft movement. If there is movement, the balls could be worn down or the cups grooved.

Back