Adjusting Hyper Beach Cruiser Rear Wheel Bearings

Dear Fellow Motorheads-The wheels were trued at a bike shop, bearings were cleaned with alcohol and repacked with Park grease. I discovered that the chain drive was rubbing against the cast aluminum drive sprocket cover and ate a nice little curve into it. For anyone interested in building a Hyper Motobike, the wide tires also have a nasty habit of rubbing into one of the lower frame tubes. Discovered both of these issues after beer thirty and taking a break from everything. This hobby will definitely make one a better mechanic, IMHO, as it forces one to think outside the box. My bearings adjustment are very close, but I will recheck them after a short ride after installing the missing left grip, the headlight and the fenders. It's too friggin' hot to do this work outside! Gearhead437UPDATE-After removing the master link and removing the drive chain from the driven sprocket, I was able to fine tune my wheel bearing adjustment. I could tell when the bearings were too tight as the wheel would start to spin slower from the correctly adjusted position with the bearings too tight. I could also see the pedal sprocket and chain amplify the movements of the too tight wheel bearings pushing against the cups instead of gliding under them. In short, I was able to get the adjustment as good as it can be for now, and it only took me 20 minutes or so. Thank God for the chain clamp, which would have made chain reassembly MUCH more difficult-Highly recommended, especially for the price:) Thank God also for the 17mm cone wrench and a standard 15mm spanner:)

On my old cranbrook the front wheel wobbled sideways about 1.5" on each rotation. I didn't even feel like truing it. I replaced it with a freebie

On my old cranbrook the front wheel wobbled sideways about 1.5" on each rotation. I didn't even feel like truing it. I replaced it with a freebie
That doesn't surprise me, as both front and rear wheels on my Hyper were WAY out of true from the factory-Gearhead437

Don't know if I was lucky, but the wheels on my 14 year old Huffy Cranbrook were in much better shape from the factory-Go figure-Gearhead437

As mentioned, cranbrook wheels a slightly sturdier than other wheels, which is part of why it's one of the best frames to motorize

Back