Baloney! 40-50 is not the typical speed for a
motorized bicycles. More like 30-35 mph is tops.
You don't know what you're talking about. With that
much speed and power 3hp, it's no longer consider
a motorized bicycle and needs to be licensed as a
moped, or motor driven cycle.
Read this carefully:
"40-50 mph is average speed for MY motorized bicycle "
That's what Wrench said.

Be nice, Mike.

I am normally going 40+ mph unless on an uphill climb. Then I'm going 30+ mph. I can't find anyone willing to do long runs up the mountains with me locally, they just want to do a couple miles at the most for fear of breaking down. They don't seem to realize that if the engine goes boom, it's all downhill going back. I also seem to be the only one that brings a backpack with tools and spare parts. I feel like I am surrounded by stupid people.

So, what sort of KIT does @Kitt need to be able to go fast, these days? Supposing he rides on private land, private and paved or unpaved roads? What would be a good selection of additional items that are compatible with the most basic engine that is available (close to) everywhere in the world?
I would definitely recommend a large CNC cylinder head to keep the engine temperature normal while the engine makes more power from the other mods, but you also get to choose your combustion chamber shape if you definitely know what you're expecting. I have four different aftermarket heads now, if you include the one thats in shipping I have a 😜use for three. 🙄
I was recommended a 19mm PHBG carburetor and found one marked as 19.5.mm PHBG and was told that's a good one for me with a large tuned pipe. It comes from Ali xpress.​
I found my pipe on the flea market site and it is for a similar engine, I think. idk . .​
What else 🤔

So, what sort of KIT does @Kitt need to be able to go fast, these days? Supposing he rides on private land, private and paved or unpaved roads? What would be a good selection of additional items that are compatible with the most basic engine that is available (close to) everywhere in the world?
I would definitely recommend a large CNC cylinder head to keep the engine temperature normal while the engine makes more power from the other mods, but you also get to choose your combustion chamber shape if you definitely know what you're expecting. I have four different aftermarket heads now, if you include the one thats in shipping I have a 😜use for three. 🙄
I was recommended a 19mm PHBG carburetor and found one marked as 19.5.mm PHBG and was told that's a good one for me with a large tuned pipe. It comes from Ali xpress.​
I found my pipe on the flea market site and it is for a similar engine, I think. idk . .​
What else 🤔
"Going fast" is subjective. Some think they go fast at 30mph. Others think fast at 40mph, 50mph or more.
Bringing engine replacement parts depends on which engine you have. For a China Girl, ya might want to lug around a complete engine(or two!). For my Tanaka 47R engine, I MIGHT bring just a spark plug. On my CY460 engine, I would've brought several clutch springs.
Other parts might be a bike chain, tire and tube, tube patches, a few spokes.
Tools include tire removal/patch kit, and assorted wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.
And reserve fuel. And a locking gas cap.
With my twin-engined bike, I carried a gallon of spare gas. With my single-engined bike, I just filled my 4L fuel tank.
Don't forget cash, credit card, cell phone and rain coat.
You should be able to bike from coast to coast with all this, and a buddy in a vehicle following you.
Helmet, full protection bodywear, jacket too!
Suntan lotion and Vicks or petroleum jelly for chafing body parts.
I also carry a HUGE Fuggedaboutit chain and lock, as well as a cable and lock. That way, if I have to leave my bike, it'll still be there when I return.

Last edited:
I am normally going 40+ mph unless on an uphill climb. Then I'm going 30+ mph. I can't find anyone willing to do long runs up the mountains with me locally, they just want to do a couple miles at the most for fear of breaking down. They don't seem to realize that if the engine goes boom, it's all downhill going back. I also seem to be the only one that brings a backpack with tools and spare parts. I feel like I am surrounded by stupid people.
I also bring everything but the kitchen sink. I am alone, surrounded by tens of thousands of cars.

You should be able to bike from coast to coast with all this, and a buddy in a vehicle following you.

Your talking about Oahu Hawaii right? 40 to 50 miles coast to coast or 120 miles around the Island
Do you really have a buddy in a car follow you?

Actually, I had wanted to plan a ride from FL to CA many years ago. However, my MB buddy moved to TN. We would've had our wives follow us on a rental truck.😄 but not on island rides.
Ed and I rode most of Oahu in sections, from East side Sandy Beach to the North shore side of Kaena Point Park. We PUSHED & CARRIED our bikes thru deep sand thru the entire park, to get from the North shore to West side Waianae town. There are no roads connecting the North shore to the West side of the island. Since the road to Waianae is washed away, we CARRIED our bikes along the cliff(!!) to get to the West side. Reaching Yokohama Bay, we rode thru Waianae towards Kapolei. My twin-engine Mitsubishis/90-lb. cruiser never missed a beat.
However, my rear tire blew out in Kapolei, and the 50-mile ride was over. Ed's China Girl/ Trek bike performed well, except for a couple chain jumps from his shift kit.
The toughest hills were from Sandy Beach to Hanauma Bay and from Waikele to Mililani. Ed's bike struggled, even with shift kit. My twin-engined friction driven bike had no problem, due to the doubled torque output.

Last edited:
Actually, I had wanted to plan a ride from FL to CA many years ago. However, my MB buddy moved to TN. We would've had our wives follow us on a rental truck.😄 but not on island rides.
Ed and I rode most of Oahu in sections, from East side Sandy Beach to the North shore side of Kaena Point Park. We PUSHED & CARRIED our bikes thru deep sand thru the entire park, to get from the North shore to West side Waianae town. There are no roads connecting the North shore to the West side of the island. Since the road to Waianae is washed away, we CARRIED our bikes along the cliff(!!) to get to the West side. Reaching Yokohama Bay, we rode thru Waianae towards Kapolei. My twin-engine Mitsubishis/90-lb. cruiser never missed a beat.
However, my rear tire blew out in Kapolei, and the 50-mile ride was over. Ed's China Girl/ Trek bike performed well, except for a couple chain jumps from his shift kit.
The toughest hills were from Sandy Beach to Hanauma Bay and from Waikele to Mililani. Ed's bike struggled, even with shift kit. My twin-engined friction driven bike had no problem, due to the doubled torque output.
Cross country would be a trip of a lifetime.
Kaena Point use to be my spot for Spearfishing. Roads kinda rough but not too bad around the point from Wailua to Makaha when I was there. I've Been away from Hawaii for 15 years I had no Idea the road washed out.
It's probably pretty dangerous riding Kam HWY. No bike lane But I guess if ya can get up to 40 - 45 mph ya can just go with the flow of traffic
M/B riding in Hawaii sounds like fun. I didn't have a M/B when I was in Hawaii. I rode M/C and it seemed like I never could get out of 3rd gear :ROFLMAO:

When we climbed the cliff, Ed helped me carry my bike. The waves were breaking directly below us. Before we climbed, I told Ed "If we have problems carrying the bike, we'll release our grip and drop it into the ocean below".
I could always build another bike.

On a downhill ride from Schofield Barracks to Waipahu, this effer tailgated me and leaned on his horn for 10 seconds. There was no bike lane or roadside, so I was in the lane on a 2-lane highway.

I wish I could've caught up with that effer.

Back