Another pull starter, another dead motor (kinda)

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Frankenstein, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Well-Known Member

20170107_155636.jpg
    This is yet another pull start, which had one of the springs that hold the paw inwards fail, this left lots of little wirey spring-thick needles in my magneto housing. The magneto reads 0 across the joints and is an open circuit, meaning it's dead.

The small tab the prevents the arms from going further inward snapped off as well, it probably turned into that metallic dust that's coating the mag and casing.

f**k these sh*t.

Time to build a better pull start.

2. Frankenstein

Oh sorry I should have elaborated a bit more.

I'm kind of positive the metal crap shorted the magneto out somehow and burned a connection. I only believe this to be true since I didn't allow water in the thing and it started up just fine last time I successfully got it going. I didn't even ride it I was only getting it up to check idle speed with a new jet. Come a week later and it won't start regardless of what I do.

These pull starts had 6 or 7 years to evolve and somehow they didn't, in fact the newer ones are even worse since they thought it better to spice it up with extra springs and plastic parts that strip and crack on the 2nd pull.. But they did add 3 horizontal lines to the outside of the cover so at least they tried to make it less ugly as sh*t.

3. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

So are you saying that you don't like these? Come on tell us how you really feel, don't hold back! ;)

4. Frankenstein

I think they should take every c**t bastard who put any f***ing time towards manufacturing one of these shitty f***ing dickless bitch hole of a wank stain pull starters and gouge out their reeking beady bloody sorry-ass eyes with a pitchfork and shove it up their motherfucking assholes, pitchfork and all but 2 pull starter kits so I have one to strangle them with and one to beat them over the head as I do so!

Edit: mods, you need to add more words to my list of automatic corrections

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. Randall

Randall Member

Much better :)

6. Randall

Randall Member

Much better :)

7. Randall

Randall Member

Is there a way to add a kick starter to these little motors? Haven't really researched it.

8. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

some folks do that with a solid center stand

9. Frankenstein

I was going to say the same thing, if you have a jackshaft set up then you're better off spending less time and effort to just put a good centerstand in place, just throw the rear wheel to get it moving and use the pedals to "kick start" the motor.

I usually just lift the rear wheel with my right hand on the seat and clutch with my left. I get the wheel rolling by pedaling with the clutch in, then let it go and give it a smooth but firm press on the pedal and it starts up.

I would like to use a pull start but slowly losing any hope to do so, currently in the redesign department.

10. Randall

Randall Member

I made this and it works pretty good. For back axle.

Attached Files:

11. Frankenstein

Yep and all I have to do it carry it around everywhere the bike goes

Randall likes this.
  12. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

Similarly I find it much better to adjust gears while on the turbo trainer. The frame flexes when it has the rider's body weight on it. It shouldn't matter, it shouldn't flex in a way that actually affects the accurate adjustment of the gears, but IME it does.

13. gary55

gary55 Active Member

I'm with ya all the way, accept I would like to keep my pitchfork. Hate to sort through all the crap for something useful.

14. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Me thinks Frankie needs a new HT motor with a lifetime warranty to solve all his problems............Bwahahahaha

15. gary55

gary55 Active Member

Provided that he doesn't piss off the townspeople lifetime would mean eternity. Suddenly it dawns on he why he chose his tool of vengeance as a pitchfork rather than a torch.

16. Frankenstein

It's actually because I'm not aloud to play with torches after the last angry mob get together, I accidentally set the mob on fire... Again.... They downgraded me to the pitchfork.

Randall likes this.