Australia NSW motorised bike laws.

Too Scared To ride My Bike in NSW now.

Hi,
I am a newbie and I thank you for welcoming me.
I built a custom chopper out of a Big Mo frame, with
a Z-box super 48.5 I have taken it for a ride only about 8 k's
on a dirt road as I live 23 k's out of town.
I had a cop look at my big and I just asked if I could ride this---BAM 009.jpg, he slammed the door on me and instantly without even a thought said NO
I would give you a ticket, and so will everyone else. That means Jail for me. So have I wasted $300 on a kit that is useless, or is there some really clear things I can do to make the officers have a look, and say, well-it complies with the law, have a nice day.

Thank you and happy Holidays.

If you live out on dirt roads then how often do you see the cops? I wouldn't worry too much I live 8km from any major town and never see any cops. If I ride into town I kill the engine and just pedal.

Jail for riding a motorised bike? I wouldn't think so.

Have you considered an electric kit? There are some really stealthy designs where you can hide your batteries in luggage bags on a rear parcel rack. If it's a 23km trip then electric would be perfect to get you to town and then back.

Thank You for the Response-Laws in NSW....

If you live out on dirt roads then how often do you see the cops? I wouldn't worry too much I live 8km from any major town and never see any cops. If I ride into town I kill the engine and just pedal.

Jail for riding a motorised bike? I wouldn't think so.

Have you considered an electric kit? There are some really stealthy designs where you can hide your batteries in luggage bags on a rear parcel rack. If it's a 23km trip then electric would be perfect to get you to town and then back.

I have been writing to the Transport Minister and do not expect to hear anything back until they all come back from their glorious Holidays.
The Police here are real bad as they come from all over the place during peak season and events....I was just standing on the corner and heard in the distance 2 Thumper licenced dirt bikes. They literally shook the ground as they rode past, and the noise hardly comparied to that of which these small engines produce. It is really hilly here, and there are more cops then you would think, but it is true they target more of the Car drivers, and speeders then a simple bicycle, I just need some sort of compliance plate or something to cover my A&$.Any help in obtaining one and or having one made and what to write,,,,,Much appreciated.
Thanks Again

I'm in Britain, I'm going to put the bike through the SVA test for 1kw mopeds, there's no way round it.

Poupoudom is even worse of just trying to reregister an old Vap4, there's nothing in French regs to allow it at all.

and drive - ride whilst licence disqualified
very harsh penalties involved
yes its looking like that now . sorry to say

Going back to the discussion with a friend of mine who is a Victorian (Highway Patrol) Police Officer:
The law has changed: we do not need to prove anything. We can now issue an infringement notice if the bike has "any" kind of motor or engine on the bicycle because the onus is now on the operator to prove the bike is legal, even if it is legal. Proving so is no longer our problem - we can just issue a ticket under the "belief" that the bicycle engine/motor is illegal.
and,
If i see the bike moving without the pedals turning, it will be considered to be a motorcycle and all the relevant infringement laws will be issued against the rider, i.e. operating an unregistered motorcycle, driving whilst unlicensed, driving whilst suspended, driving an over specification bicycle, driving an unroadworthy motorcycle, manner dangerous (if riding on the footpath), and anything else in the book that can be thrown at a motorized bicycle operator.
All up, it works out to be around $6,000 worth of tickets.

I quite like most of the people I know in the police force, but this nazi land BS - gets right up my nose.

"Doing 20Kmh without pedalling" = "Better pull you over, issue tickets, fines, go to court" = This is such an attack on people's general intergrity.

If they were doing 55Kmh up a hill without pedalling... using a souped up oversized motor, Yeah... nail them.

But nailing people like that is just BAD.

It creates ill will against the police, it creates contempt against the legal system and it makes for MORE angry people with an axe to grind - at a genuine injustice being done, because of some fellow playing word games on a power trip.

Back