FLORIDA- Step-by-Step Registering a Gas Motor Bike- with forms

Risk Man

Local time
8:02 AM
Licensing a Bicycle with Gas Engine kit installed in Florida

Background:

Florida defines a “Gas Engine Motorized Bicycle” as a “Moped” - Section 320.01(27), Florida Statutes, defines moped as any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power- drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.

If it is over 50cc it is a MOTORCYCLE AND must be Registered and Titled. A Moped on the other hand is Registered but NOT titled. The instructions are contained in FDHSMV publication RS-68 with the latest edition of May 2022 (see attachments)

Further note that while the definition of a “motor vehicle” under the section on registration of vehicles does not include a “moped”, under the statute Driver’s License section a motor vehicle INCLUDES a Moped, there fore according that that Law, you MUST have a driver’s license to operate a Moped (Gas Motor Bike). None of these instructions or rules apply to Electric Motor Driven Bicycles and we will not discuss that here.

Steps in the process:

Complete your motorbike to comply with all standards of “Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations:
  • 1 Headlamp (minimum)
  • 1 Stop lamp (minimum)
  • 1 Tail lamp (minimum)
  • Reflex Reflectors: (3 ) Red and ( 2) Amber ( 1 red in the rear maybe combined with taillamp/stop lamp) (2 red on side to the rear) (2 amber on side to the front)
  • 1 Registration (tag) lamp illuminating the tag for 50 feet
  • 1 Horn: audible for 200 feet
  • 1 Rearview Mirror
  • Brake activation can be combined or separate; wheel must have a separate brake. (Please note: The stop lamp must come on when either brake is applied.)
  • Twist-grip or thumb activated throttle.

• Complete “Assembled from Parts” form HSMV 84490 statement of builder.
  • Under # 2 you will only have two lines: The engine and the second line is the Frame.
  • NOTE: (this was a challenge for me) Original Parts Receipts for all major component parts in the name of the vehicle owner. F.S. 3I9.30 (1) (e) (I). Note: (If parts are not purchased directly from the Manufacturer or Aftermarket Parts Dealer, a copy of the seller's receipt(s) must be included.) All bills of sale must have the seller's name (business name), complete address and phone number.

• Complete the Affidavit for Motorized Bicycle Converted to Moped.
  • NOTE: The simple form contained in RS-68 is not the same as the one required and sent to me by the Bureau of Dealer Services In Palmetto Florida, the location of my district field office where the inspection was conducted. Your Florida location will determine which office you send your paper work to for the inspection. Please call that office and request these instructions an paper work BEFORE you complete Steps 1 and 2 above.

• Submit clear pictures of the bike along with the document above and a check for $40 application / inspection fee. They take them in the order received and it could be weeks before they call you to make the inspection appointment. Again, call the office first.

• Your Inspection Appointment
  • On the day of your appointment you will take the completed bike to the inspection location (The Palmetto office is conducted in an open parking lot across the street from the office and yes, it if rains they still conduct the process. (It rained on my day and as a result, the inspection of the bike was very quick) There will be dozens of people there for inspections mostly of salvage or lost title processing. If all checks out and matches your affidavit and application, they will attach a decal FLA (Florida assigned) vehicle number (substitute for a VIN).

• Finally: They keep all the paperwork and their certification of the forms and they put it in a sealed envelope that you are NOT permitted to open. You take the sealed envelope to your Local DMV tag office and there they open the envelope, issue the registration and your plate. You are Done! Congratulations, you have a legal Moped in Florida.

Attachments

• rs-68.pdf
    152.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 84490.pdf
    238.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Notice to Bicycle Converted to Moped Builders.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
Moderators Note:
On this thread, please, NO comments, If there are any questions pertaining to licensing/registering gas bikes in Florida, by all means ask them here.

The information provided by @Risk Man is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge regarding the laws, rules, and regulations regarding our bikes in the State of Florida.

Back