Trying to build an ebike out of my chopper, but it has to adhere to the strict regulations in my region

My bike is pretty loud. I'm told it sounds like an angry weed wacker lol. My neighbor says his dog likes to watch me leave when I head to school in the morning.
My gf actually is embarrassed by me riding the bike around the block. She's worried I'm going to jail 🤣 I wanna get my bike running nice first but I'd love to try one of those mz65 pipes. See a lot of people say they get a lot of power from them. Saw guys stick little mufflers on the back and they don't sound much louder than stock

I'm from a Canadian province as well, they just introduced new ebike laws that are very ambiguous. I say don't worry about it.

You have an ebike, you are as fashionable as can be. Just don't ride it like you stole it and you will be fine.
I was thinking if I get an ebike it would probably be for the rail trail here. I am going to try riding the 2 stroke down it but it very clearly says electric bicycles not exceeding 32 km only and under 500 watts. I would just get a faster 1000 watt bike cause nobody is going to know the difference watching you ride by

My gf actually is embarrassed by me riding the bike around the block. She's worried I'm going to jail 🤣 I wanna get my bike running nice first but I'd love to try one of those mz65 pipes. See a lot of people say they get a lot of power from them. Saw guys stick little mufflers on the back and they don't sound much louder than stock
I have a cheap mz65 copy, I shortened the stinger, and atttached the stock muffler to it.
128641-d4e216da2d5f236fd197e1948eaa44b9.jpg

Well, I think I found an ebike with parts that could be compatible, one option might be to buy replacement parts for the bike online, but there are still 4 things that concern me. Here, this is from the highway traffic act in my area:

"power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that

(a) has a handlebar for steering and pedals,

(b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,

(c) can be propelled by muscle power applied to the pedals,

(d) has an electric motor but no other type of motor,

(i) the motor has a continuous power output rating, measured at its shaft, of 500 W or less,

(ii) if engaged by the driver applying muscle power to the pedals, the motor immediately stops providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver stops applying muscle power,

(iii) if engaged by a throttle, the motor immediately stops providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver activates a brake, and

(iv) the motor cannot provide the vehicle with motive power when it is travelling at more than 32 km/h, and

(e) [repealed] S.M. 2021, c. 30, s. 16,

(f) has either

(i) a mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that can be operated by the driver, and if the vehicle has a throttle, or is separate from the throttle,

(ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from engaging until the vehicle is travelling at 3 km/h or more; (« bicyclette assistée »)

Things I don't know:

If engaged by the driver applying muscle power to the pedals, does the motor immediately stop providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver stops applying muscle power?
If engaged by a throttle, does the motor immediately stop providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver activates a brake?
Does the vehicle have a mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that can be operated by the driver? (I could probably fashion something for that)
Does the vehicle have a mechanism that prevents the motor from engaging until the vehicle is travelling at 3 km/h or more?

Since this is an ebike forum, perhaps someone here can cross a few of these questions off my list? I have an amazon link here showing the bike with the engine in question:

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Well, I think I found an ebike with parts that could be compatible, one option might be to buy replacement parts for the bike online, but there are still 4 things that concern me. Here, this is from the highway traffic act in my area:

"power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that

(a) has a handlebar for steering and pedals,

(b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,

(c) can be propelled by muscle power applied to the pedals,

(d) has an electric motor but no other type of motor,

(i) the motor has a continuous power output rating, measured at its shaft, of 500 W or less,

(ii) if engaged by the driver applying muscle power to the pedals, the motor immediately stops providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver stops applying muscle power,

(iii) if engaged by a throttle, the motor immediately stops providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver activates a brake, and

(iv) the motor cannot provide the vehicle with motive power when it is travelling at more than 32 km/h, and

(e) [repealed] S.M. 2021, c. 30, s. 16,

(f) has either

(i) a mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that can be operated by the driver, and if the vehicle has a throttle, or is separate from the throttle,

(ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from engaging until the vehicle is travelling at 3 km/h or more; (« bicyclette assistée »)

Things I don't know:

If engaged by the driver applying muscle power to the pedals, does the motor immediately stop providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver stops applying muscle power?
If engaged by a throttle, does the motor immediately stop providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver activates a brake?
Does the vehicle have a mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that can be operated by the driver? (I could probably fashion something for that)
Does the vehicle have a mechanism that prevents the motor from engaging until the vehicle is travelling at 3 km/h or more?

Since this is an ebike forum, perhaps someone here can cross a few of these questions off my list? I have an amazon link here showing the bike with the engine in question:

$300 off! You seem extremely concerned about all these specific little laws. If you don't need to get the bike inspected to ride it most of these things won't matter. No one is going to notice or care if the bike goes a few kms faster or if its 500 watts or 1000 watts. Most of the ebikes on amazon are already set up for our stupid rules though. Most of them will say 500 watt and 32 km max speed even though they are capable of more speed they are governed

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
$300 off! You seem extremely concerned about all these specific little laws. If you don't need to get the bike inspected to ride it most of these things won't matter. No one is going to notice or care if the bike goes a few kms faster or if its 500 watts or 1000 watts. Most of the ebikes on amazon are already set up for our stupid rules though. Most of them will say 500 watt and 32 km max speed even though they are capable of more speed they are governed
Because I don't have a motorcycle license, if things got sticky I could lose my bike, and it was a rare find. Unique frame with engine mounts too, I'm not interested in losing that to the first cop who feels like being a d*** about it.

You know, in my region more powerful bikes are allowed, but they are immediately classified as motorcycles. In other words, riding one without a license could get you in a sticky legal situation. Cops are d***s, I prefer to keep my interactions with them to a minimum.

Because I don't have a motorcycle license, if things got sticky I could lose my bike, and it was a rare find. Unique frame with engine mounts too, I'm not interested in losing that to the first cop who feels like being a dick about it.
I like to call them Karen Cops. No need for them to be d***s. They were just born like that I think 🤔

Cops are d***s, I prefer to keep my interactions with them to a minimum.
I like to call them Karen Cops. No need for them to be d***s. They were just born like that I think 🤔
Did you guys know that I am a retired police lieutenant???...lol...lol...And now in my old age "dotage", I am now your forum moderator...lol...lol.

Did you guys know that I am a retired police lieutenant???...lol...lol...And now in my old age "dotage", I am now your forum moderator...lol...lol.
🤣 most cops I met were great. I was pulled over a few times when I was young and I only recall 1 of them being a Karen. 1 problem with cops is sometimes if they are having a bad day they can abuse there power and take it out on you

Back