Ban on gas-powered vehicles in Halifax recommended

Steve Best

Local time
2:53 PM
Well the idiots among us have done it.

Rude gas powered bicyclers have pushed people here too far.
No mufflers, too fast and blatant disregard for others have brought about calls for banning most gas and electric from city parks and trails.

I see it every day when I ride in the city.
Kids on speed machines blowing by me on a narrow city trail.
Disheveled reprobates with a case of beer on the carrier blasting along city streets.
Packs of night riders with faint blue, purple and green lighting on the sides of their bikes.
All of them with nothing for a muffler, no pedaling and too much speed.
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

The city and likely next the province are considering banning gas powered bikes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ecreation-trails-motorized-bike-ban-1.4293559

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasc...-proposes-motorized-bike-ban-for-trails-parks

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/city-hall/regional-council/170919rc1415.pdf

I see a guy in the morning ride up a one way road very close to the center city main cross roads, not the only one I've witnessed doing it either. Very strange however how California just basically made it a free for all regarding these bikes... Let's see what happens.

I took this bit from the CBC article linked above.Some cities, such as Calgary, Windsor, Hamilton, Vancouver and Montreal, do not allow any bicycles in parks and trails unless they are human propelled.I live and build these bikes in Hamilton and this city is very annal about these bikes and high powered ebikes and yet the study to allow the use of ebikes on Canadain roads was done here in 06.And at that time if stopped ridding a gas bike it was confiscated and the ridder charged with operating a motor vehical and any thing else they could come up with.Since then the police have eased up a bit but will still stop you if being stupid as for the trails I have been riding the rail trail here that runs up and along an escarpment(Niagra Escarpmet) for years almost every night because you can go so far and not encounter a soul on there in the pitch black canopy covered paths but in the last two years every night i see at least one high powered ebike with good head light on my travels and now they are ridding in little groups there combined headlights lighting up the forrest all around them not hard to see them comming but then others see that that can be done and jump in now it's like a half doz or more I'll see in a short 20 mile ride and police dont want to go into areas that they cant get a cruiser into and there is just too many ways to go for them to bother.Hopfully they will keep easing up on the gas bikes as they did all around us here I put out 20 bikes this season and none of them have had issues with police so far I tell them to peddal when they see a cop just because they all use dash cams and in court if you are seen still peddaling chances are it will get thrown out the law still says they are not legal for road use here.

Back