Best model for deliveries?

T34

Local time
10:01 PM
I do delivery apps on my ebike rn since losing my job due to pandemic, but that has obvious time limitations. I'm wondering what kit/bike you'd recommend for me? I don't have a license so a conventional scooter, which requires one in my jurisdiction (DC) is out.

Top priorities are:

1: Ease of installation/maintenance (noone's selling pre-assembled bikes or I'd buy one and earn back the extra cost)

2: Reliability (I really don't want anything going kaput while i'm making a delivery)

Price and looks are less important.

Preferably 50cc and under so I can deliver in VA too.

Obviously it's mostly urban so traffic doesn't tend to go fast, but DC does have some wide avenues which people put more speed on and which are convenient shortcuts if you can keep up. We also have a lot of bike trails.

I'm thinking of the bikeberry friction kit or GEBE belt drive. An axel drive kit also seems simple enough but noone's selling them rn.

I don't have much mechanical knowledge (but am willing to learn) and my motored bike experience is limited to a chain drive happy time from years ago.

Last edited:
From what I hear if you go to bikeberry the pandemic might be over before it arrives, or get the one part in the kit that broke while you were assembling it.

Axle kit w/honda 35cc. If the 35 fits the honda gx50 should also. Not the honda gxh50, different motors in every way. Specify gx50, ask if it will work with that axle kit, it should.

Best model for deliveries?

german-beer-girl.gif

Axle kit w/honda 35cc. If the 35 fits the honda gx50 should also. Not the honda gxh50, different motors in every way. Specify gx50, ask if it will work with that axle kit, it should.

Thanks. How simple is it to install? Do they need to be pedaled up before starting?

your going to need to switch out the hub axle, which requires redoing the hub (not bad, but watch videos on it first)

id say the gx50 with the axle kit will do you just fine, how much load are we talking about? since you might want to gear it loading if your taking on more load (ie food and person total weight)

Well i'm 185, the food itself is almost never more than 20 pounds.

Also would using tannus tubeless tires help stop flats (and if I get the friction drive kit, the roller wearing the wheel down)? Or am I better off with kevlar tires, mr tuffy and slime? I don't want to make customers wait while I change it.

i dont think the tannus tubeless tires work with friction drives. just get good kevlar tires. i think friction is the easiest to get started. staton inc is preferred brand here with a honda or honda clone. i've used a honda clone for 5k miles and it was fine though louder at the end. only issue is weather though i heard that just increasing the engagement pressure of the roller helps though u do lose some gas efficiency.

edit: by tannus i mean the solid foam tube replacements

these little honda motors are more powerful that you imagine. 1.6HP is like 1200W that aint bad. If you need more torque (less top speed) or more top speed (less torque) you can order another roller later. not sure of your terrain. only downside of the 35cc engine is the gas container is small as s**t (really meant to just do yard work) so buy a gas container just for top offs and you be fine. to me, this is a fine price for a quality kit and engine though I havent look at this stuff for a while since going electric.

Back