Best way to motorize my trike????

He needs a CVT or NV hub in the power train someplace to get up 15% grade.CVT has about 2:1 ratio, NV 3.5:1

hub motors

Best thing to do is build a new trike that will hold geared hub motors on the rear wheels....

About the only thing I can come up with is that you don't need a differential.Some hub motors have built-in planetary gearing but it is fixed.The smart thing to do would be to turn it into a multispeed transmission.But that might not be easy to do.Volvo was working on a drive system for cars along thisline ,with motors at each wheel.

If you want a diff use a Peerless they would go well in a trike setup abd are very cheap. Personally though i see no need for a diff on a trike used exclusively on road. You can't tell riding my delta that it is only driven with one rear wheel (with the exception when doing burnouts hehehe...shall have to 'waste' the tire on it before i fit the new rims and tires too, be nice YouTube moment no doubt LoL) the added weight would be disadvantageous also IMHO.

Last edited:
If you drove the left wheel you'd be ok (righthand traffic) I think.He def. needs a variable transmission.The NV can handle up to 95 ft.lbs. if used on rear wheel.That means about 95 lbs traction,so 95/0.15 or about a 600 lbs overall weight limit.How does that 3.5:1 ratio strike you?

About the only thing I can come up with is that you don't need a differential.Some hub motors have built-in planetary gearing but it is fixed.The smart thing to do would be to turn it into a multispeed transmission.But that might not be easy to do.Volvo was working on a drive system for cars along thisline ,with motors at each wheel.

If you mean a electric drive system then GM did that years ago with a silvarado.
OP: running an electric motor I would gear it like a CVT to a multigear hub kinda like the VW Type1s(beetles) they had a torque converter and you could press down on the shifter to unlock it so you didnt need to clutch in. Maybe not that similar but thats where I got the idea from that way you've get alot of use from each gear. And consider running a generator hub in the setup to kinda give it more power and/or keep charge or something.

Lowest RPM/ Gear rudux

Now that I have figured out the missing link to my theory of power assist, I need to know how to reduce a usable RPM down to 32 or 60 (see below)

What is the peak efficiency rpm of a small gasoline engine? (or is that just too esoteric)

And what gear ratio is possible with the least efficiency loss?

A single speed gear reduction could be used if tied in the drive train. Well if it will spin faster than the desired rpm then I could just go directly to the rear left wheel.

At 3000 rpm I would need aprox. 50 to 1 gear reduction.

Speed calculation for the gears I use:
18 front / 34 rear sprockets = 1 to .53 ratio .............
60 rpm's at the crank x (.53) = 31.76wheel rpm's..............
62.8" circumference x 31.76 rpm's = 1994.82 ipm ..............
Divided by 12 = 166.235 fpm ..........
166.235 x 60 minutes = 9974.117 fph ............
Divided by 5280 = 1.889 mph.........
=
My second gear, with 28 sprockets on the crank, is 3 mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back