Best Way To Seal Slip Fit Header onto exhuast?

• Thread starter Deleted member 35519
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 35519

I have a RHM Racing Pipe for my Minarelli and my slip fit header for he exhuast leaks. I identified other pinhole leaks on the pipe and corrected it with JB Weld and repainted with Cermaic High Temp 2k degrees. Repacked the Silencer with new fiberglass and re-revited and packed it. My main question is from anybodies experience.

What would you consider the best solution to sealing the slip fit header to the exhuast besides permenantly welding it with my welder or using JB Weld? I'm so sick of it spitting out oil onto my crank case of my engine.

I have a RHM Racing Pipe for my Minarelli and my slip fit header for he exhuast leaks. I identified other pinhole leaks on the pipe and corrected it with JB Weld and repainted with Cermaic High Temp 2k degrees. Repacked the Silencer with new fiberglass and re-revited and packed it. My main question is from anybodies experience.

What would you consider the best solution to sealing the slip fit header to the exhuast besides permenantly welding it with my welder or using JB Weld? I'm so sick of it spitting out oil onto my crank case of my engine.

2 stroke is going to find any leak it can and spray oil.

Personally, I haven't dealt with slip fit this small, but if you have a welder, that would be my solution.

I'm going to try my Ultra Copper RTV extreme between the sliep header for a week and see how long it last. I already have a tube of jb weld. I already used some to seal some pinhole leaks on the pipe then repainted the pipe.

I'm going to try my Ultra Copper RTV extreme between the sliep header for a week and see how long it last. I already have a tube of jb weld. I already used some to seal some pinhole leaks on the pipe then repainted the pipe.
This isn't JB weld epoxy, it's just their brand of sealant. You can get it from several brands almost anywhere. The RTV can also work as long as the gap isn't too big. High temp red is used by people a lot for sealing motorcycle muffler joints. The exhaust sealant is just the highest temp solution.

Rtv red doesnt work so well on the gap since the exhuast has to be mounted precise. Copper RTV heald up great, no leaks so far.... Dismounted the moter for a clean. I'll post pictures after. I will try to this :).

Can you use this for the muffler to head instead of paper copper gaskets?
This works because speed demon is using a friction fit with tight tolerances.

Unfortunately you won't get a seal on a flange to head with just sealant alone

You can use copper exhaust sealant on your gaskets to help them seal better though.

Ok do my final solution was to coat the inside of the pipe and the slip header before fitting back into the bike. I had to fill pinhole weld leaks with JB weld and repaint. Zero leaks now. Drives like a lunatic. Now I need to find hydraulic fluid calipers for the rotors! Disc breaks aren't enough for a fully ported Minarelli! This thing pulls full throttle at 13.5hp when it leaks. And smooths out like butter without leaks now!

We'll see if the copper holds up! Rtv black didn't!!

If all else fails JB weld it is!
1000000240.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240226_201501770.jpg
    IMG_20240226_201501770.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240226_201450543.jpg
    IMG_20240226_201450543.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 22
Have you tried a pipe expander? Match the OD of the header to the ID of the pipe so it's a pressure fit.

Back