Best Way To Seal Slip Fit Header onto exhuast?

• Thread starter Deleted member 35519
  • Start date
Have you tried a pipe expander? Match the OD of the header to the ID of the pipe so it's a pressure fit.
Intresting you mentioned that. I did initially think about that. Seems that the pipe is 1mm wider than the slip header, this could of course been from overuse of time. That being said when I was at Harbor Frieght yesterday i noticed they sold a few. However they're too large. So I'm guessing I'd have to special order a smaller one online if I go that route.

The copper gasket maker is great stuff. If you could find some long fiberglass strands like from fiberglass cloth and work them in the space like boat caulking or old school plumbing bells followed by more gasket maker and make yourself a copper silicon fiber glass impregnated gasket you may get some more life out of it. Just guessing it would work but I think it would.

The copper gasket maker is great stuff. If you could find some long fiberglass strands like from fiberglass cloth and work them in the space like boat caulking or old school plumbing bells followed by more gasket maker and make yourself a copper silicon fiber glass impregnated gasket you may get some more life out of it. Just guessing it would work but I think it would.
Wow that's a very innovative idea! I think I'm gonna try that. I was thinking of ordering more fiberglass to stuff another silencer I have. I took out the material on that one to service this RHM pipe. ^^

Intresting you mentioned that. I did initially think about that. Seems that the pipe is 1mm wider than the slip header, this could of course been from overuse of time. That being said when I was at Harbor Frieght yesterday i noticed they sold a few. However they're too large. So I'm guessing I'd have to special order a smaller one online if I go that route.
I have yet to find pipe expanders for 1”- 1 1/2”. The smaller ones are for soft copper.. 1/4” - 7/8” and then they jump to 2” and up or so for auto muffler pipe.
I was looking to make slip fits for the expansion chamber header and stinger mods instead of butt welding the pipe.
They may have them for 1”-1 1/2” but I haven’t had success finding one for thin wall steel pipe.

I have yet to find pipe expanders for 1”- 1 1/2”. The smaller ones are for soft copper.. 1/4” - 7/8” and then they jump to 2” and up or so for auto muffler pipe.
I was looking to make slip fits for the expansion chamber header and stinger mods instead of butt welding the pipe.
They may have them for 1”-1 1/2” but I haven’t had success finding one for thin wall steel pipe.
Yeah it appears that all are 1-1/8th and above o_O

This works because speed demon is using a friction fit with tight tolerances.

Unfortunately you won't get a seal on a flange to head with just sealant alone

You can use copper exhaust sealant on your gaskets to help them seal better though.
I bought a sheet years ago of gasket paper but I don't remember the size..somewhere in the 7000s I think. Can you recommend a size paper?

Just thinking again. If you took a spud wrench ( the long tapered wrench iron workers use to align beams) cut most of the taper off down to 5/8 or so.
Heat up the pipe you wanted to expand, drive the spud wrench into the end to start a flare, find a socket of the correct diameter, heat up again, drive the socket into the pipe, I think you could make an acceptable flare.

Haven't tried it but I bet it would work, would be much better than trying to butt welding the pipe.

Back