Bike work stand idea.

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by kevbo, Dec 9, 2007.

1. kevbo

kevbo Guest

A work stand makes bicycle work, and especially derailleur adjustment ever so much easier. They are a bit pricey though.

I've been hanging my bikes on the carry rack on my truck to work on them. Any carrier rack that supports the bikes by the top tube leaves most of the mechanicals accessable, and if you use the outer station, the pedals will still turn.

Not as good as a real work stand, as you may have to turn the bike around to work on the other side, and you can't tilt it or adjust the height....AND ladies frames could be a problem. Still, it's free if you already have a carrier.

2. Egor

Egor Guest

Good idea, Thanks. I held mine up by putting hooks in the ceiling and then hoisting it up and letting it hang, I needed to remove the wheel for work. With the engine in these things they get gang-lea. Have fun, Dave
  3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I put my bike on the centre-stand for any prolonged work but i'm also looking through peoples hard rubbish hoping one day i'll find an exercise bike that i can cannibalise to is where u find it.
  4. Mary

Mary Guest

Thanks for bringing up the subject. I was hunting this morning for info on how to build a workstand or any work-arounds. :smile:
  5. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

I just attahced 2 bungees to the back and 2 on the handle bars for balance on the front, an attached them to the ceiling and it worked great , i could move the bike with ease, and made adjustments to the back tire as needed, I was changing a flat tire lol. IMO no need to waste time making a stand when its right there in front of you, Hope this helps
  6. Mary

Mary Guest

I only have one bike but it's hard on the back. I just took the engine off the bike this evening as well as the back tire. I bought a Specialized Armadillo tire and Slime Tube which I will take to a shop tomorrow to have put on, then I'll put the tire, etc. back on. (The guy at the bike shop isn't charging me since I bought the stuff from him.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007
  7. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I use a tee stand that I made. The tee part gets two bolts through the work bench and the 2" pole has a flat bar 2"x1.5" with a 5/16 ths 18 threadded hole. All I have to do is, take the kick stand bolt out and bolt the bikr onto the tee stand.
    I dropped my brand new build off the bench and broke 3 cooling fins as well as a fender before doing this. It was worth the time to build.
  8. Stink Bike

Stink Bike Member

I hang mine from the cloths line using a couple of hooks.
    I'm looking for a couple of pullies so that I don't have to lift the bike.
  9. I turn mine upside down and lock my clutch lever. :grin:

You know what's been cool lately is that the gas from my float bowl doesn't drip out when I flip my bike as long as the petcock is closed.

But before I sealed my tank,I hanged my bike from my bike rack in back of my SUV. It did it to it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  10. a-dam

a-dam Member

I made mine out of pipe clamps. They make kits for building woodworking clamps from 3/4 inch iron pipe, threaded on one end. I have a bunch of clamps, so I was able to convert one without leaving the house. Actually, it took 1 1/2 clamps, some lumber, steel, nuts and bolts and screws, and a few hours of drilling & sawing.
    Years ago when I bought the clamps, a 48 inch length of pipe was five dollars and the kits were under ten bucks. I guess today all the parts could be had for about 25 dollars. A sturdy, store-bought bike work stand costs at least 100 bucks.

The upright is a 48 inch length of pipe. I made the base (feet) from 2x4 lumber, but could be made more easily with more pipe and the proper couplers. The feature I like is that it automatically "locks" at whatever height you lift the bike to. That's because the part that slides up and down the vertical support is made from a clamp "tail". The jaws can grab the bike by the top tube, down tube, seat tube or seat post. I lined the jaws with inner-tube rubber, then covered that over with leather from a chamois (nice and soft). It can rotate around and lock at any position with a 50-pound bike. It's very sturdy. There are a couple of things I would do differently, though.

Here's some old pics where you can kinda see it. It's currently being used, slightly disassembled, to hold a frame I'm painting. So I won't have better pics for a while.
    Maybe it can help give someone some ideas.

Attached Files:

11. will_start

will_start Member

why stand when you can sit ?

I lean my bike against something, wall, fence, whatever.
    spread out an old towel/blanket if you need to.
    I sit on the ground with a old pillow, why raise the bike and stand,
    when you can sit down and work ? :p
  12. graucho

graucho Active Member

I have a small shop area with a bike "work bench" in the center. I use a motorcycle (ATV) ramp and wheel them up onto the bench. I can walk around to both sides, and leave my tools laying underneat it on the bench. I also build mini choppers up there which are 110-150lbs. so I need something very sturdy.

Attached Files:

13. a-dam

a-dam Member

OK, here's some pics. A pipe clamp "tail" piece goes up and down the upright. It slides up freely and automatically locks in position, you have to squeeze the release tabs to lower it. Sticking horizontally out of that is an old Schwinn seat post (I used what I had laying around). It's bolted and pinned to the clamp tail. A section of iron pipe about a foot long slides over it. The end of the iron pipe is slitted and a seat clamp locks it in place. I made the the plywood jaws to handle tubes between 1 1/4 and 3/4 inches.

It works well, but the 13/16" seat post diameter is too small. I have to really crank down on the seat clamp nut to keep a bike from rotating. Usually I clamp the bike by the seat tube and that makes it front-heavy. If I'm removing the back wheel, I just let the front wheel rest on the ground. I would use a larger diameter pipe and make the iron pipe fit inside that, instead of outside.

But I'm happy with it. It was relatively cheap, and it sure ain't gonna blow over in a small breeze!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  14. codi79

codi79 Member

15. a-dam

a-dam Member

Well how do you like that? Looks like I'm not the only guy to think of making work stands out of pipe clamps. I like mine better, of course :) Holding the bike up with one hand while you try to clamp it up with the other? I don't like the sound of that! His bike looks much lighter than any I own, but still... Mine not only lifts and locks at any height but also rotates and locks where you want. Yeah, I know it's not a contest, but if you're gonna make one, I wouldn't suggest the "lift the bike up to the clamp" design.
    Also, I found out that bare inner-tube rubber does a good job of pulling paint off of a bike frame. I had an old Schwinn Continental clamped up for a coulple days. I was just using it for mock-up work, not really concerned with the small paint damage on THAT frame, but I was surprised that some of that original paint stuck to the rubber. It's over 30 year-old, baked-on enamel. So I covered the rubber on the jaw faces with leather and now it doesn't leave a mark on my sweet paint jobs.
  16. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

i like ur clamp idea adam. i personally use a 20 dollar bike hoist from walmart, made wo hold bikes in garages. but i dont have a garage. i have a shed with a loft. so i just use the bike hoist to work on my bikes. and when im doing somthing thar involves removing the seat or the bars, i just attach the claws on the top tube. litterally all it is is 2 pullys that work by 1 string, and it has 2 claws at the end, of each pully, so there is 4 pullys all together.2 attached to the roof, and 2 atached to 2 hooks. im over complicating things lol. but its rated for 50 lbs but it caRYS MY STINGRAY, THAT WAS 50LBS WITH NO MOTOR. AND I ALSO USE IT IN THE WINTER AND SPRING TO TAKE THE MOWERS OUT OF THE LOFT. sory for the caps, im not gonna type that again tho lol. ill do a vid, when i lower the mowers. probablly this week.
  17. a-dam

a-dam Member

Thanks Eltatertoto,

I like the hoist idea. I used a homemade hoist system before making the work stand. Down in the basement, I used two tie-down straps like in the pic. I would hoist the bike up from the ceiling joists. It worked well; no chance of the bike falling over, but it was a bit "swingy". I've done a bit of weightlifting, but I still wouldn't want to try to hold a 50+ lb bike up with one arm while trying to clamp it (and not scratching the finish). So I prefer a hoist system to a non-adjustable stand.

Attached Files:

18. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

thanks for the pic, i didnt quite know what ya meant. but looking at the harbor freight mag, the 20.00 dollar bike hoist i bought at wall mart is 7.00 on sale at harbor freight. just letti ya know. kinda agervates me lol.
  19. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

20. fetor56

fetor56 Guest