Bike worth motorizing?

If you're planning on trail riding, a 1950s-70s men's Cruiser or 1990s MTB would be the best way to go, Rock Shox/Manitou forks optional.
A cruiser? are those built well enough? thats what I'm riding now, (not old like you said) And there arent a lot of options for suspension.

A cruiser? are those built well enough? thats what I'm riding now, (not old like you said) And there arent a lot of options for suspension.
I had a Cranbrook cruiser for 5 years that was motorised and I went 6000 miles with it...Until the frame snapped.

When that happened to me in May of 2020 I found a bike that was in all ways built better than the Cranbrook...YEP...Another beach cruiser, this time around I went with the Hyper Beach Cruiser...Much better welding and larger, more substantial tubing...I am presently running a Phantom 85 with this frame.

DSCN0229.JPG

DSCN0228.JPG

And this is what the bike looked like before I customised it to my liking:

bfb61811-6c28-4323-9ac2-8e0ff717cfe1_1.19a1af507b81bd794153b1c0bb3d3b08.jpeg

If it's steel, it's built to last.
If it's newer than 1970s, it's probably not steel.
Don't do what so many do who buy some FEMA-Mart Chinaluminum job, slap an engine on it and go self-destruct within a few weeks.
Cruise local yard sales, thrift shops, flea markets - even dumpsters - bike stores, heck, even Craigslist.
That Garelli you have should be steel, it's not a bad platform for a motor - definitely beats all of those Cruiser-clones they sell now - but it would be kind of a shame to do that to a minor classic road bike.
I have a 1961 Schwinn Tornado - ladies' version - that I've been planning to turn into a 'Chopper' for a long time, just haven't gotten around to it.
'Inherited' it from the Ex, it's good Chicago steel - this is one HEAVY bike - which makes it a pain to pedal uphill, especially since you have only 1 gear, that's 1 reason why motor.
Reason no.2 is the shape, top tube as well as downtube follow the same downward curving path - to make room for flowing skirts.
When's the last time you've seen a girl in a skirt ride a bicycle ?
When's the last time you've seen a girl in anything ride a bicycle ?
Anyway, that shape makes it look a lot like a Mofa or some Lo-ridah Choopers, reason no.2 why I started thinking motor.
The Ex's brothers also swapped the original Townie handlebar for apehangers possibly taken from a Stingray, further enhancing the Chopper look.
Since the original fork made no allowances for any brakes and I don't like the idea or the hassle of disc brakes, I got a different fork, also had to change the stem because rust.
Look for something like that, men's model would be better.

The Hypers ARE steel...Whenever in doubt, just take a magnet with you when you shop for one...Like I did...lol.

the original fork made no allowances for any brakes and I don't like the idea or the hassle of disc brakes
Mine was not disk ready forks either but was simple to adapt disk brakes to anyways.

EDIT: ...Much better stopping power with my disks, I'm able to stop just as good as any normal motorcycle or car...Much better than normal bike brakes.

Don't do what so many do who buy some FEMA-Mart Chinaluminum job
Also, almost all of the Wally World bikes ARE steel...Almost every beach cruiser there I have tested with a magnet and it sticks...I actually did this to debunk the "rumour" some time ago, when I bought my Hyper, that all of the "FEMA-Mart Chinaluminum" are NOT aluminum at all but are actual steel construction.

Also, almost all of the Wally World bikes ARE steel...Almost every beach cruiser there I have tested with a magnet and it sticks...I actually did this to debunk the "rumour" some time ago, when I bought my Hyper, that all of the "FEMA-Mart Chinaluminum" are NOT aluminum at all but are actual steel construction.
If so, the welding must be crap.
Seen any lugs on any of them ?

If so, the welding must be crap.
Seen any lugs on any of them ?
I can only tell ya that my Hyper was well done with really great welding all around...Don't know about the Kents or Huffys anymore though since Hyper's are the new standard for me right now since I bought this one 2.5 years ago and holding up extremely well for a street rider.

When I went to buy it, I even had one of my buddies from the AFB with me who IS a welder...He pronounced it good, so I bought it, still in the box, unassembled.

If cranbrook bad, and that's what I already have, no point upgrading components, like sus, brakes, wheels....I want suspension, I want a strong bike, and good brakes, so maybe an older mtb is my best bet. Or cruiser, but that would run me more $$$. either way I'd go used.

If cranbrook bad, and that's what I already have, no point upgrading components, like sus, brakes, wheels....I want suspension, I want a strong bike, and good brakes, so maybe an older mtb is my best bet. Or cruiser, but that would run me more $$$. either way I'd go used.
Its not expensive to buy a Hyper if your in the market for it...I do not believe they have them in their stores any longer but they do have them online.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-26-Men-s-Beach-Cruiser-Bike/299035532

I want suspension, I want a strong bike
If your doing some off road riding, I totally get the need for suspension, as for myself, i'm doing street riding only so have seen no need for it...My seat has a memory foam cushion and dual springs and dual rubber ball type suspension so my butt rides in comfort...lol...It's extra wide too, 13 inches wide, for my extra wide butt...lol...lol.

If it's steel, it's built to last.
Is everything you say just a guess? I have a shed full of bikes, nothing older than 84, all steel frames. I have two aluminum framed bikes too, a 29er MTB, just a trail rider, muscle power, and my 4X Electra, which is a street rider.

Back