Blown Piston with debris in the motor, Wheel moving freely even if clutch is engaged

BHR

Local time
5:29 AM
This happened right after I, more than likely messed up the fuel oil ratio. This is my first bike and I've had it running for 3 days, so bear with me please.

I ran out of gas on the way home, stopped at a gas station and picked up a tiny bottle of "2cycle oil" read the back and it said (if I remember correctly ) 1 bottle per ever .8 gallons of gas. Took a few mins but I got it running, however I was leaving a trail of blue smoke.

I get pretty far and the motor just stops running, and the wheel is moving freely with the clutch engaged, I can see the plate moving when I disengage the clutch. The starter sprocket/gear seems to be bent, however its moving smoothly with the clutch gear.
Is my motor trash now or is this repairable?

Attachments

• IMG_20230814_220920_01.jpg
    IMG_20230814_220920_01.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 20230814_233542.jpg
    20230814_233542.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 106
Could you get us some more pics of engine/ piston. I'm curious if it melted a hole thru the piston or if something punched a hole thru the top of the piston.

You will at very minimum need to split engine case to clean debris from engine case.

My guess is you didn't mix your gas and oil well enough. The oil must have settled to the bottom of the tank and it was all getting burned up. Then the oil was gone and you were running on mostly just straight gas. That's a big no no. Always make sure your gas and oil are shaken up and mixed well. You can probably fix it, but with all the time and cost to fix it you may be better off to replace the whole engine

Idk but I would like to see some more pics of piston & cylinder wall. The hole in the piston is not due lack of oil, in my opinion. Usually timing, air/fuel mixture=extremely lean, or debris on top of the piston, causes holes like that. Detonation can cause holes in piston to, but usually is timing related. I'm curious to see some better/more pictures.

Could you get us some more pics of engine/ piston. I'm curious if it melted a hole thru the piston or if something punched a hole thru the top of the piston.

You will at very minimum need to split engine case to clean debris from engine case.
I'll definitely get more pix once I get off work. I took off the top end lastnight after these pix and inspected the cylinder walls and it looked ok but maybe I missed something. I think WhiteBill has somewhat of a point because I definitely didnt mix it the way he described. I just poured the oil in the tank and assumed when I put the fuel in it, it would mix.

This is my first motor and I don't mine learning at all, so splitting the case and seeing the inners will give me something to do after work lol.

My guess is you didn't mix your gas and oil well enough. The oil must have settled to the bottom of the tank and it was all getting burned up. Then the oil was gone and you were running on mostly just straight gas. That's a big no no. Always make sure your gas and oil are shaken up and mixed well. You can probably fix it, but with all the time and cost to fix it you may be better off to replace the whole engine
I dont mind putting some elbow grease into it to learn a bit more. I may even do both so I can have something to use and another for parts/learning purposes. Either way thanks for your opinion, I'll have more pix this afternoon

Also, with the head off, the wheel still shouldn't be moving freely when the clutch is engaged right? I think I need to also replace that rode in the crankshaft, I'll have to tear that down to see if I can tell if anything is messed up in there, I'll post pix of that too

Also, with the head off, the wheel still shouldn't be moving freely when the clutch is engaged right?
Yes, it will run freely, there is no compression to stop that from happening when the head is off the cylinder jug so no restrictions to this happening.

The same thing will happen just by removing the spark plug too.

Yes, it will run freely, there is no compression to stop that from happening when the head is off the cylinder jug so no restrictions to this happening.

The same thing will happen just by removing the spark plug too.
Ahhh ok, that makes sense. When the piston took the damage, the bikes slowly started to move more freely. It must have been a small hole initially then my attempts to keep starting it blew a bigger hole in there.

Idk but I would like to see some more pics of piston & cylinder wall. The hole in the piston is not due lack of oil, in my opinion. Usually timing, air/fuel mixture=extremely lean, or debris on top of the piston, causes holes like that. Detonation can cause holes in piston to, but usually is timing related. I'm curious to see some better/more pictures.

Attachments

• 20230815_180406.jpg
    20230815_180406.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230815_180400.jpg
    20230815_180400.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230815_180306.jpg
    20230815_180306.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230815_180302.jpg
    20230815_180302.jpg