Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke 33CC

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by Mike St, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Mike St

Mike St Member

What's this about a BS 4 stroke 33 cc, listed for gopeds? Does anyone know about this engine. Listed at 23 pounds.

2. greguk

greguk Member

Have to be horizontal and can't be heavy. I cant find it on ebay anyway.

3. Mike St

Mike St Member

4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

wouldnt touch it with a ten...nay, twenty! foot pole...

starter on clutch side means lousy half crank.

why im so against them, i dont know :p

half cranks dont suffer alignment issues.

but then half cranks are always used on cheap rubbish. saves costs.

i dont know... looks like cheap rubbish to me. take off all the plastic, maybe...

5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

It says it can be mounted at any angle. That makes mounting simpler.

6. Mike St

Mike St Member

So far no one knows anything about this engine.

7. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

One reason I have not done a DIY (non-kit) build is because the 2 stroke weed eater and goped engines are so loud. I may be willing to do a bike with a 4 cycle weed eater. I avoid the Briggs and most HFs because I want to maintain a street legal displacement for motorized bikes.

8. Mike St

Mike St Member

I think someone needs to buy one of these engines and develop it for motorized bikes.
    It's a great value if it can be used and it's 4 stroke. There aren't many 4 stroke alternatives to RS and Honda, so it's worthwhile to take a look at this engine.

9. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Been looking at the B & S motors and plan to see how difficult to make a drive system for them.

Have fun,

10. Silvaire

Silvaire Member

I doubt that the B&S 34cc engines would be good candidates for motorized bicycles. They are a side valve (i.e. "flathead") engine, which typically produce somewhere in the range of 60% to 70% of the power of a similar size overhead valve engine. Given that a 34cc overhead valve engine doesn't have excess power for an MB to begin with, I think that a flat head 34cc engine would be quite a disappointment power-wise. B&S also makes (or made) a 40cc version of this engine, but that's still only a little bit bigger than a 34cc engine.

Additionally, I think these engines have an overhung crankshaft. That is a good point for a model airplane conversion, but the extra width isn't so good for an MB engine.

For this class of engine size, I think the Honda and Subaru are still the engines of choice.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  11. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

The briggs has a cantilever crank which is not good for a mb application, they are down on power and have issues with breaking cams.
    I wouldn't touch one with a 3.048 meter pole.