broken float...

crowvise

Local time
12:50 AM
... will turning the fuel valve on and off affect the engine negatively? Should only be needed a few days until I recieve my new carb.

That method will work, in a pinch.

Just try NOT to let your carb empty to the point your engine starts to die. Remember.... the only lube for your engine comes in your fuel mix.

no fuel/lube = bad. :-/

another thing to consider is that if you let the fuel run out before you turn the valve back on, you will make the engine run lean (fuel/air mixture). when the engine starts to starve for fuel and the rpm's go up while at an idle...it's running lean.
you probably would not notice the rpm change while riding, but there is a chance that you could starve it for fuel by opening the valve to give it more fuel too late.

Thx. I won't be running it that way because my whole carburetor broke off (see h t time machine thread) but I ran it 2 days that way. I fixed the float with a solder iron. It held up fine. The leak was 1.5mm wide * 3.5mm long. It was located inside the inner ring wall. Since the ring hole is only .9cm across I used an extra compression spring, barely larger than the solder iron tip, slid over the tip, and half a sewing needle (the whole needle would not transfer enough heat to melt) wedged between the 2. Took awhile but it worked. I'd recommend the needle on exterior plastic repair too. A regular tip has too much surface area and/or heat (depending on tip- size; shape; wattage) to allow a quick fix without a really steady hand. Also think it wastes more plastic than necessary.

Back