broken stud 60 miles from home

I appreciate all your advice, the thing is these bolts were 10.9 hardened steal with blue lock tight and 2 of them ended up broken by the time I got home. I don't think I can drill them out period. However I will try your advice. I went to the hardware store but couldn't find any carbide center drill bits so I guess I'll have to shop around and maybe order them online.

On a positive note, I actually like the bungee cord support my dad thinks I should just leave it. I'm not sure though.

Now you know why they call those happy times motors.........glad you made it home safely.

I've had ' some ' luck annealing hardened bolts before drilling, when the annealing takes, the hardened metal drills easily. To anneal,
soot up the metal with a candle, lighter, or acetyline torch set for yellow, sooty flame. The soot is a heat indicator, heat metal until black soot turns white, than gradually cool, by backing off, than re-applying torch heat. Do that for a good 20 minutes, than use a heat gun to keep
cooled metal warm, the longer it cools, the softer it gets. You may have to try a few times, to get it to ' take ' but when sucessful, the stubs come right out.

Now that is useful information.
I'll be writing down that little trick for the workshop.

My current technique is to use split point full cobalt drill bits that easily work their way through hardened steel.

Back