BSC British Standard Cycle 13/32-26 tpi

• Thread starter Deleted member 25783
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25783

I bought a Sturmey Archer drum brake front wheel with axel nuts supplied, and thought it odd that the nuts had a lot of play. Being a Tool and Die maker I knew something was wrong, but I bought the wheel from a respected distributor who supplied 10X1 mm nuts.
In fact Sturmey Archer has a proprietary thread size. It shouldn't come as a great surprise. It is also the land of Whitworth screw and nut threads. Google search found Niagara Cycle Works. They have the 13/32-26 nuts in stock, and I ordered 4. Be mind full, I learned a lesson. Last thing I need to do is go tearing do the road and have a wheel fall off.
Tom from Rubicon, WI ( Sorry the title is misleading at best, moderator kill this thred if you want. )

Last edited by a moderator:
only if you try to pop a wheelie, tom. otherwise, gravity should keep the wheel on o_O
Ehhhh... I wouldn't say that lol had a loose nut (I replaced a pair of brake pads on my front caliper but forgot to tighten the nuts past "small wrench snug" on the axle after I fitted the brake back under) and I bent the plate on the fork that holds it on during a hard turn over a small branch, took 5 minutes just to get myself off the ground it was not a nice day....

I have no idea if the wheel falling out had anything to do with the crash but I think it was part of it, though normally there wasn't a small branch on the trail in that turn it seems unlikely a 300 pound bike would have tossed like that over a small 2inch stick in the turn I was on.

All I remember is it felt like my wheel just got 6 inches shorter and 10 feet later the bike was no longer moving and neither was I..

Your funny bakaneko,
Anyway instead of assuming I measured the axle and came up with a diameter of .354" which converts to 9mm
The thread of a 10 x 1 nut doesn't jam so I guess this Sturmey Archer axle is 9 x 1 mm. Machinery's Handbook offers only one reference and that is as an alternative size and pitch. Not going to find these at the hardware store.
Frankenstein, you are no help and you're not humorous. I'm not good with Trolls.
Tom from Rubicon, WI

Your funny bakaneko,
Anyway instead of assuming I measured the axle and came up with a diameter of .354" which converts to 9mm
The thread of a 10 x 1 nut doesn't jam so I guess this Sturmey Archer axle is 9 x 1 mm. Machinery's Handbook offers only one reference and that is as an alternative size and pitch. Not going to find these at the hardware store.
Frankenstein, you are no help and you're not humorous. I'm not good with Trolls.
Tom from Rubicon, WI
It was not a humorous post, simply mentioned that gravity isn't the best way to keep wheels on a bike, at least not a dirt bike, and provided the reason why I believe it to be so.

Don't take my word for it though since I'm not a professional bike mechanic. For all I know gravity is the best way to keep wheels on a bike and it's just pieces of wood in the road you need to watch out for.

As far as trolling goes I wasn't, not on this thread at least.

Last night I ordered axle nuts from Wheel & Sprocket Appleton,WI. Should be here in a couple of days.
Tom from Rubicon

Hey guys, the thread is a 13/32 26tpi. I've tried the 10mm X 26 and it will not work.

OK enough of this crap.

image004.jpg

Use the universal adjustable axle vice to secure the rotational position of the axle.

Apply Duck brand heavy duty motorcycle repair tape to the axle vice as to retain the axle and vice on the frame.

Finally use the included ultra-flex nylon cable and axle tie-down strap to secure the derailleur side of the axle from leaving the frame on bumps and falls (the chain tenting keeps it in the rest of the time.)

Say goodbye to your nuts folks, this is the future of axle retainmental experimental cross dimensional technology, now upgrading all kits to include a digital axle vice, just plug the included USB cable (sold separately) into your handlebars and the adjustable axle vice is downloaded directly to where it's needed!

No returns, $79 a kit, free shipping, I've got 4 left in Stock who wants em?

*statements not based on fact, but they sound good. Buy now!

Last edited:
If it isn't 13/32 x26 TPI it is M9x1. The M9x1 axel nuts are perfect on my Sturmey Archer brake hub set.
Tom

Back