Building another friction drive

To me the easiest way to get maximum range, 1 idea besides carrying 2/3/4 extra batteries. Have a hub rear drive Ebke with a good AH batt. Then when the batt goes kaput use a rear friction drive in the rear to extend your range. 1st I've thought of this, any downsides? UF, I wouldn't mess with a 25cc at all, too anemic. 35cc is the same size almost and gives you the minimum needed, my opinion. Every cc counts on these small motors.
That of course makes a hybrid. You can charge the batteries while underway with the engine. In fact if the battery/controller arent in circuit you risk blowing the caps in the controller. My wife and I rode Jekyll on bikes, hers was an ebike. She forgot her batteries. She rode the whole island charging the caps in the controller and blew them out. I should have thought about it and pulled and isolated the phase wires. Live and learn.

That of course makes a hybrid. You can charge the batteries while underway with the engine. In fact if the battery/controller arent in circuit you risk blowing the caps in the controller. My wife and I rode Jekyll on bikes, hers was an ebike. She forgot her batteries. She rode the whole island charging the caps in the controller and blew them out. I should have thought about it and pulled and isolated the phase wires. Live and learn.
Getting tired of the thread getting off track?

To me the easiest way to get maximum range, 1 idea besides carrying 2/3/4 extra batteries. Have a hub rear drive Ebke with a good AH batt. Then when the batt goes kaput use a rear friction drive in the rear to extend your range. 1st I've thought of this, any downsides? UF, I wouldn't mess with a 25cc at all, too anemic. 35cc is the same size almost and gives you the minimum needed, my opinion. Every cc counts on these small motors.
I don't wanna use the bad word but I will....exercise. I don't get any on my 48cc, and on my ebike only if I'm running 0-30mph traffic sprints downtown chasing tourist babes on pedal taverns (that's my thursday plans 🤣). Neither of them need my help.

That 25cc surprised me with a 1.17 roller, it still climbed small grades on its own, and ran lower-mid 20s. A 0.850 knurled, might drop that top end below 20, and enough grunt to get around town. And pedalling isn't a waste it'll jump that accelleration to a respectable speed.

I still get off running thru the gears acting like Superman...that dirty word again, exercise.

Totally tubular is a golf term.
Actually it is a surfer term I picked up off the California surfers that they were just starting to use in the mid 70s when I was going to college out there...lol.

The word "tubular" originated in the 1680s as a word meaning "having the form of a tube or pipe, but in the 1970s going into the 1980s, it took on a new meaning related to the waves as they would turn tube like into the perfect surfing wave, hence the term, "Thats just totally tubular man"...lol.

You forget, my dual majors in college were History and English, my dual minors were Theology and Psychology...lol.

Actually it is a surfer term I picked up off the California surfers that they were just starting to use in the mid 70s when I was going to college out there...lol.

The word "tubular" originated in the 1680s as a word meaning "having the form of a tube or pipe, but in the 1970s going into the 1980s, it took on a new meaning related to the waves as they would turn tube like into the perfect surfing wave, hence the term, "Thats just totally tubular man"...lol.

You forget, my dual majors in college were History and English, my dual minors were Theology and Psychology...lol.
Well, we use it when a guy hits his ball in the middle of the pipe.

Here’s one with a clutch and face plate I can buy, with gearbox attached, running the bottom bracket to wheel.
No jack shaft. Cool.
Honestly, don’t think the clutch would last.

Video answered all my questions.
Listen hard it’ll answer yours too.

God bless the third world. Doing s**t better than people with way more. Welds weren't the prettiest but if the sprocket is true that is damned impressive.

God bless the third world. Doing s**t better than people with way more. Welds weren't the prettiest but if the sprocket is true that is damned impressive.
Glad you woke this up. Last night I scored heh heh.
$50 got me a pile of bikes. I got 26' alloy disc wheels, I got a full suspension, a 20" 5-speed, some 20" 48 spoke wheels???, another alloy 26" front disc wheel with a good Hookworm on it!!

And this thing. It had a 24V controller with lead-acid batteries, motor is locked up.
But the Shimano Nexus 7 seems to work, shift. It has some kind of hub brake on left side.

Also good double freewheel crankset. Cromoly frame RST shocks. Lots of space.

I wouldn't put a big motor on that hub, but a 27cc centrifugal clutch with gearbox sounds right.

And room for a battery, and a 48V 350 or 500W front hub, dual power.

Attachments

• 20230706_201115.jpg
    20230706_201115.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 57
Back