Buzzbike gets a makeover for 2024!

20240220_172605.jpg

20240220_172629.jpg

20240220_172645.jpg

Lotsa new stuff.
New (NEW!) wheels. I replaced the rear QR axle with a solid axle.
Disc brakes.
Metal idler and derailleur pulley sprockets with bearings
New throttle and shorter cable
New rear rack

A whole pile of USB lights chucked.

A new light systen with onboard 12V lithium battery. Triple brake lights on rear. 15W RoadShock flood on front. Mini bullet lights with lenses I added to make 360° visible.

Pictures after a battery test running hazard flashers for 3 hours,,dropped 0.2 volts off full 12.6V charge. A voltage display is on top of the black box, charge port and power switch on side, fused inside.

The battery is 3s2p 5800mah. I can charge it with a solar panel but it appears I'll have plenty of range for normal riding using no lights except turn signals and brakes.

Ready To Roll.
😁
20240220_172616.jpg

I looked up cables a bit ago. Some come with the bullet on one end and cylinder on the other.
I have some of those. You just cut the one you don’t want off.
And all the time I’ve had them.. I was thinking some moron screwed up and put fittings on both ends.
Live n learn

I looked up cables a bit ago. Some come with the bullet on one end and cylinder on the other.
I have some of those. You just cut the one you don’t want off.
And all the time I’ve had them.. I was thinking some moron screwed up and put fittings on both ends.
Live n learn
Lmao I ordered a high dollar set of cables & they were road bike cables. I recieved them & seen the bullet ends & was like what is this crap.

Then I reviewed my order & found out I ordered the wrong stuff.

There isn't room but the pulley on the jackshaft would work best. A 2 to 1 reduction from the jackshaft to the generator should give you around 340 rpm when the engine is at 6k. That is only if you're using a 21 tooth sprocket on the engine side of the jackshaft.
There IS room! I can replace the collar on the jackshaft with a pulley, make a bracket, good to go!
Yeah its crammed in tight. Spent a life working on japanese machines so I'm used to it. Even though my caucasian hands are too damn big 🤣

FYI its an 18T sprocket so it'll run a bit faster. I will have to make some final output tests when its installed to insure my AC output is above 11V at cruise. Being three-phase, a rectified DC output will be about 1.41 above the measured AC RMS, or 15.5VDC.

My new calculations have me aiming at an RPM range of 140 to 270, that'll keep the DC output within my MPPT regulation.

If this works, the battery will be secondary, or supplemental IF I'm running in the dark with everything ON for hours. Unlikely I'll ever ride that much night!
20240306_113519.jpg

There IS room! I can replace the collar on the jackshaft with a pulley, make a bracket, good to go!
Yeah its crammed in tight. Spent a life working on japanese machines so I'm used to it. Even though my caucasian hands are too damn big 🤣

FYI its an 18T sprocket so it'll run a bit faster. I will have to make some final output tests when its installed to insure my AC output is above 11V at cruise. Being three-phase, a rectified DC output will be about 1.41 above the measured AC RMS, or 15.5VDC.

My new calculations have me aiming at an RPM range of 140 to 270, that'll keep the DC output within my MPPT regulation.

If this works, the battery will be secondary, or supplemental IF I'm running in the dark with everything ON for hours. Unlikely I'll ever ride that much night!
View attachment 209691
You may have said this already but what are you powering?

You may have said this already but what are you powering?
A 15W Roadshock LED headlight, and running / turn / brake lights, a horn, and charging a 12.6V 5200mah battery.

Maybe 25W if everything is on, like nighttime.
Day running, usually nothing but turn and brake (last all day), or running lights (maybe 10W total, lasts at least three hours per one test I did).

I only use the headlight to flash at inattentive drivers.
Then the horn...
If that fails I grab my bat, and rage on them 🤣🤣🤣

Sweet. Are you using Lipo, Li-ion? if your using Lipo you really don't wanna drain the battery below 3.2Volts per cell and Li-Ion below 2.5V per cell or you can permently damage the battery and it will not hold a charge.

Sweet. Are you using Lipo, Li-ion? if your using Lipo you really don't wanna drain the battery below 3.2Volts per cell and Li-Ion below 2.5V per cell or you can permently damage the battery and it will not hold a charge.
Li-ion. Haven't got a cutoff, but I do have a volt display so I'll do it old school. I haven't dropped them below 11.2 so far loaded, that was three hours of hazard flashers.
A full hour of all lights ON dropped it to 11.7 loaded, 11.9 unloaded.

My cutoff point is dipping to 9.9V (3.3V per cell), and I have yet to see what it takes to get there.

I will soon. But not today.
MY ride today is the trike. 😁
20231202_163023.jpg

Back