Buzzbike Upgrade!

The old reduction friction drive has been removed and tossed on a shelf. It was fun, I learned, but its wore out.
20211022_180501.jpg

Stripped bike to its bearings, cleaned, lubed, new driveline chain and cassette 11-32 / 7 with long cage derailleur, trigger shifter. Dumped front derailleur.
Stole hookworms from wife's bike.
🙄
20211020_175150.jpg

Added BBR 48cc.
20211102_172533.jpg

And that's my stopping point. There's no way in hell a chain will line up w/o power idlers. Kinda knew that anyway....

Course, now I whine, pout, wife says I can get a shift kit for xmas.
🤣😂

Hope I got everything right, I watched a video b4 installing those circlips, one for the clutch too.

Was planning to break it in on a trainer stand, but as I can't run chain it has to wait.

Do I need a load on the engine for break-in? I have a pull-start I haven't installed yet.

I might also ask, with an 11-32 cassette, do I need anything different from the standard SBP kit sprockets?

I do have hills. 30 degree hills. Buzzbike went up - once. Me pushing for a mile good god what a screw-up.

Trike with a Bafang 750W drive, SRAM DualDrive 3spd hub 12-28 cluster 20in wheels, climbs it like a bulldozer. I'd fall over trying that with a bike, I'd have to move a bit faster.

That hill calls me.
I want to rip up that hill.

Maybe I shoulda got an 80cc?
(but that's not legal...)

The old reduction friction drive has been removed and tossed on a shelf. It was fun, I learned, but its wore out.
View attachment 160430

Stripped bike to its bearings, cleaned, lubed, new driveline chain and cassette 11-32 / 7 with long cage derailleur, trigger shifter. Dumped front derailleur.
Stole hookworms from wife's bike.
🙄
View attachment 160431

Added BBR 48cc.
View attachment 160429

And that's my stopping point. There's no way in hell a chain will line up w/o power idlers. Kinda knew that anyway....

Course, now I whine, pout, wife says I can get a shift kit for xmas.
🤣😂

Hope I got everything right, I watched a video b4 installing those circlips, one for the clutch too.

Was planning to break it in on a trainer stand, but as I can't run chain it has to wait.

Do I need a load on the engine for break-in? I have a pull-start I haven't installed yet.

I might also ask, with an 11-32 cassette, do I need anything different from the standard SBP kit sprockets?

I do have hills. 30 degree hills. Buzzbike went up - once. Me pushing for a mile good god what a screw-up.

Trike with a Bafang 750W drive, SRAM DualDrive 3spd hub 12-28 cluster 20in wheels, climbs it like a bulldozer. I'd fall over trying that with a bike, I'd have to move a bit faster.

That hill calls me.
I want to rip up that hill.

Maybe I shoulda got an 80cc?
(but that's not legal...)
Meanwhile, while I wait...

I can work on my replacement longbike. Not sure how I'm powering it, but electric makes sense. But...cut out that bottom bar, put in one with a curve up front, I can squeeze an engine in.
Already got a poo-poo pipe too.

20210910_141613.jpg

You need a couple offset motor mounts to get the chain to line up. Nothing more than a couple pieces of plate with holes drilled into them and a couple muffler clamps. Spend 5 or 6 bucks now and get something better for Christmas.

Yesterday making a short trip, I saw someone's beautiful chopper project, cherry red, fat rear, omg had to stop and look. But, not long, I was in my truck, that's suspicious, reason to get shot.

Going back tomorrow on my trike to get pictures. Amazing how you're not suspicious riding a tadpole.
🤣😂

You need a couple offset motor mounts to get the chain to line up. Nothing more than a couple pieces of plate with holes drilled into them and a couple muffler clamps. Spend 5 or 6 bucks now and get something better for Christmas.
The chainline for the sprocket does line up, its the way triangle is molded I have to push power side down 4 inches. Honestly wasn't planning to run it long that way, just for break-in. Not worth adding more I'll take back off. Don't like the rag joint anyway.

I was wondering, on drive side, with one front, are there chainline issues with a 11-32 7 in rear? Maybe over-thinking it a bit...

The chainline for the sprocket does line up, its the way triangle is molded I have to push power side down 4 inches. Honestly wasn't planning to run it long that way, just for break-in. Not worth adding more I'll take back off. Don't like the rag joint anyway.

I was wondering, on drive side, with one front, are there chainline issues with a 11-32 7 in rear? Maybe over-thinking it a bit...
Aluminum bikes aren't very good anyway, very hard to stretch, if at all. My electra wouldn't be stretched.

It’s hi-tensile steel.
But not bending it to line up a chain either.

If I had chose this frame for LH drive I would have screwed up. The seat stays are curved in to far down for any chain that isn't horizontal.

If I can't fit a shift kit...then I did screw up!

Pic below with old drive you can see the low curve in seat stays.
20190908_115318_resized.jpg

It’s hi-tensile steel.
But not bending it to line up a chain either.

If I had chose this frame for LH drive I would have screwed up. The seat stays are curved in to far down for any chain that isn't horizontal.

If I can't fit a shift kit...then I did screw up!

Pic below with old drive you can see the low curve in seat stays.
View attachment 160449
Did you give it the magnet test?

I read the red hi-tensile steel label on seat tube.
Weight is another clue.

My previous career in industrial machines for metalworking steel (carbon, hi-tensile, SS), chromoly aluminum titanium inconel gave me more clues.
Its steel.
No magnet needed.

Ordered SBP shift kit.
Just waiting now....

Yesterday making a short trip, I saw someone's beautiful chopper project, cherry red, fat rear, omg had to stop and look. But, not long, I was in my truck, that's suspicious, reason to get shot.

Going back tomorrow on my trike to get pictures. Amazing how you're not suspicious riding a tadpole.
🤣😂
Round here taking pictures of anyone's stuff might get ya shot, regardless of what form of transportation. The hood, where drug dealers don't want anyone to know those 30 cars out front and people going in and out all day, are there for drugs.

Back