Can I Drill holes in sproket so that it fits disk brake mount?

Idr12321

Local time
2:44 AM
I broke a few of my spokes the other day and the wheel is buckled to the point where it cant move. I'm thinking of picking up a rear wheel with a disk brake mount so that I can drill holes in my chienese sproket so it'll fit the disk brake mount. I'm then going to remove the rim from the old wheel, strighten it out and put it on the disk wheel so that I can brake. Is this a good idea or will something likely go wrong?

*Correction* the rear wheel can move but it rubs off the frame and is badly bent. I'm hoping this can be bent back

Didn't see any replies don't know if you figured it out yet but I purchased a new sprocket on eBay that is more heavy duty with three . It has the three holes for hub mount , 11 holes for rag joint and the holes for disc brake think it was under $10 free shipping .

Attachments

• 15842982060231301736009.jpg
    15842982060231301736009.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 137
I recommend using a sprocket adapter instead of the rag joint set up. If your rim is bent it might be garbage but if it's just the spokes you could probably get it back into true.

I did it but it was tuff without a drill press you can never get it perfect with hand drill had to go back over it with assorted mini files grind the holes out.

I did it when I wanted to go from a 40T to a 36T, my 36T sprocket wasn't drilled right so I used the 40T one as a temp lent and clamped the 2 together, it worked pretty good but still not perfect

Thanks for the replies. I bent the wheel back and replaced the spokes. It's not perfect but it does the job. I might buy a wheel with a proper rim and the holes for putting a disk on. Then I'll buy a sproket with disk holes. So far the bike's holding up!

Back