Cast mag rim repair

BruceBanner1983

Local time
2:04 AM
I bought a set of used Tomos wizard mags. They’re cast, not plastic. I haven’t checked the rear wheel yet, but the front wheel is definitely out of true. I’m wondering if anyone has ever repaired a cast mag wheel? I’d rather hear from someone who has done it, and has some experience with what actually works and what doesn’t, than hear suggestions from those who don’t. These wheels cost me $200, and I can’t afford to wreck them. I am considering trying to use a bottle jack, but concerned the pressure will crack them.

I have never seen ANY cast mag wheels that can be trued without cracking and snapping.

How did it get warped in the first place???

Let's see a pic of it.

I have never seen ANY cast mag wheels that can be trued without cracking and snapping.

Let's see a pic of it.
I’m not sure. I bought them used from treatland. No returns, unfortunately, because they’re used. Can’t get a pic right now. I was talking to my boss and he said try to heat it up and use a dead blow hammer and a block of wood. I’m also not sure if they’re cast or steel. I’ll try sticking a magnet to them when I get home from work in about an hour.

Let's see a pic of it.
Used moped wheels, probably hit curbs, rocks, and sticks.

The only way to straighten them out is with three rollers, you can't beat on them.

Three rollers?
I operated a bar straightener back in the day, it had 7 rollers. All you need is three, two on the bottom and one on the top to put pressure on the rim. You probably could make one from three caster wheels, but the size is important.

Maybe not these exact wheels, but fixed ones for sure.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back