Chain to belt conversion for REAR DRUM Use

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Hot Dog Piggy Tails, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Im thinking of taking on of my engines down to the local auto and marine and converting the drive output shaft to BELT.With a Belt hoop instead of the Rear sproket youd have clearance for disk/Drum/ DRUM for me fron and rear I mean isnt that a goal for anyone please be true OH yeah its mineHEH. Well Investing in a spoke roller for lacing front Drum Sturmey Archer XFD's onto my Builds. So the rear Drum isn't a must for every build but Itd be a nice option.

So I need to find some rear mounting Hoops for the rear wheel.

I also will need the belt sizes of Whizzer drive belt Incase I cant fabricate the rear wheel Drive assembly. HELP WANTED!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Can you buy belt sprockets on the Whizzer site?
    Maybe you could use a 20 inch wheel rim for the rear sprocket.
    A shift kit may be the only way to keep the drum brake if you can't work out
    the belt drive.
    My cruiser that I want to motorize has a nice Shimano roller (drum) brake on the rear that I would love to keep using. Cheers

3. Sheave

Hi Hot Dog, well, the Whizzer uses ax or 4l or A type belts.

Easy deal, Whizzer Dealers, like myself, should be stocking them. I do not think you'll be sucessful with a bike rim, because they would need flat belt!

V-belt basic technology is thatthe belt actually grips on the 2 sides, flat-belt works lying in the bottom of the sheave.

Mike