Choking engine to start

graggy

Local time
2:26 PM
Do all these china engines need to be choked to start first time you start it? Seems like it could be a little awkward trying to reach down and take the choke off while riding. I’m not ready to try starting my bike build yet but just curious.

Do all these china engines need to be choked to start first time you start it? Seems like it could be a little awkward trying to reach down and take the choke off while riding. I’m not ready to try starting my bike build yet but just curious.
IDK about anyone else. but mine won't even start with the choke on that I can tell. The coldest I've had to try though so far has been no lower than 50F.

I’m in central Florida so it’s pretty warm
I bet it will be like for me then. I basically have an easy time starting in 70+ weather, just a little harder at 50F, but no need of choke ever. I haven't had my bike long enough to try it in the winter here, which is mild, but still often can get in the 30-40F range.

Typically yes, they need “choke on” to start. Best practice is to allow a few minutes to warm before closing the choke and ride.

Typically yes, they need “choke on” to start. Best practice is to allow a few minutes to warm before closing the choke and ride.
It depends on your climate area...Being in the high desert of New Mexico, I only need it in the dead of winter to start, the rest of the year it is not necessary and even makes it harder to start up...Your in Maryland on the east coast just as I used to be in Massachusetts and New Hampshire...Much different climates there and chokes are almost always necessary for cold starts year round depending on elevation, ambient temperatures, humidity and dew point levels etc.

Mine cranks easier on choke,I just stop once it is cranked and move to half choke for a minute or so,then turn it off and ride.

It is cold natured no matter how warm it is.

Back