motor ran for 15 minutes, stalled out and wont start again

jjlove543

Local time
2:32 AM
hi guys, i apologize for the stupidity in advance, this is my first time dealing with these motors.

I just bought a new 80cc 2 stroke bike motor kit off of ebay. After many days of butt pain i finally got the thing put together. I went to start it and it started right up! After a few adjustments to the idle screw on the carb it was running and idling perfectly. I took it for a short ride up and down my neighborhood street and it was good, so I grabbed my helmet from the house and was about to go on a longer ride. I began up the road again and when I was about 200 ft out the motor stopped and I couldnt get it to start again. I can't remember the incident very well but i think I may have heard a clank noise so I pulled the clutch lever, maybe even locked it because I also found out the lock on the clutch handle had come off.

I tried multiple times to restart the motor, messing with the idle screw and choke, giving it throttle and not, nothing.

My original suspicion for it not starting again was that the clutch was not tight enough, so I took off the clutch cover and tightened the flower nut. Still no start.

So then I thought maybe the fuel filter was blocking the fuel flow, so i removed that. Still nothing.

I moved on to the carb, I took the entire thing apart and put it back together, even making sure that fuel was actually filling the bowl. It was. Still no start.

I thought maybe the electrical components went bad, so I took the spark plug out of the head and put it against the head. I cranked the motor and.. no spark, huh.

so i ordered replacement cdi, magneto coil, and sparkplug from amazon. I replaced the cdi and plug, no spark when i had it out of the block, but i still tried to start it, no start.

as of now i just replaced the magneto coil. I checked for spark and didn't see any. i had to go to work so i didnt get the chance to try and start it.

im pretty sure i've got compression cause its hard to turn the motor with the plug in, but its possible i suppose.

im 90% sure this is an electrical issue, but it just seems so strange that the thing was working then just stopped! i know the cdis that come with the kit are pretty crap, but its hard for me to believe that the amazon cdi is also bad, but i guess its also possible.

if anyone has any input or has experienced something similar please let me know, i tried to include as many details as possible but if you have any questions ill try my best to answer them

thank you

hi guys, i apologize for the stupidity in advance, this is my first time dealing with these motors.

I just bought a new 80cc 2 stroke bike motor kit off of ebay. After many days of butt pain i finally got the thing put together. I went to start it and it started right up! After a few adjustments to the idle screw on the carb it was running and idling perfectly. I took it for a short ride up and down my neighborhood street and it was good, so I grabbed my helmet from the house and was about to go on a longer ride. I began up the road again and when I was about 200 ft out the motor stopped and I couldnt get it to start again. I can't remember the incident very well but i think I may have heard a clank noise so I pulled the clutch lever, maybe even locked it because I also found out the lock on the clutch handle had come off.

I tried multiple times to restart the motor, messing with the idle screw and choke, giving it throttle and not, nothing.

My original suspicion for it not starting again was that the clutch was not tight enough, so I took off the clutch cover and tightened the flower nut. Still no start.

So then I thought maybe the fuel filter was blocking the fuel flow, so i removed that. Still nothing.

I moved on to the carb, I took the entire thing apart and put it back together, even making sure that fuel was actually filling the bowl. It was. Still no start.

I thought maybe the electrical components went bad, so I took the spark plug out of the head and put it against the head. I cranked the motor and.. no spark, huh.

so i ordered replacement cdi, magneto coil, and sparkplug from amazon. I replaced the cdi and plug, no spark when i had it out of the block, but i still tried to start it, no start.

as of now i just replaced the magneto coil. I checked for spark and didn't see any. i had to go to work so i didnt get the chance to try and start it.

im pretty sure i've got compression cause its hard to turn the motor with the plug in, but its possible i suppose.

im 90% sure this is an electrical issue, but it just seems so strange that the thing was working then just stopped! i know the cdis that come with the kit are pretty crap, but its hard for me to believe that the amazon cdi is also bad, but i guess its also possible.

if anyone has any input or has experienced something similar please let me know, i tried to include as many details as possible but if you have any questions ill try my best to answer them

thank you
Try to disconnect the "kill" switch button from the wiring harness and see if it will start then...If it does start, then thats the problem...You can always just shut it done by pulling the choke arm straight up to full choke once your stopped or just stop the bike and pop the clutch to kill it.

Try to disconnect the "kill" switch button from the wiring harness and see if it will start then...If it does start, then thats the problem...You can always just shut it done by pulling the choke arm straight up to full choke once your stopped or just stop the bike and pop the clutch to kill it.
I did try that. Still didn't start.

Time to remove the magneto cover then and remove the spark plug to relieve any compression, make sure that clutch lever is let all the way out to have clutch engaged and make sure your rear tire is off the ground.

Now just actuate the pedals to see if the stator is rotating inside the magnets that are located on top and bottom of the stator and that the space in between the stator assembly and the magnets on either side are approximately equal to each other.

Time to remove the magneto cover then and remove the spark plug to relieve any compression, make sure that clutch lever is let all the way out to have clutch engaged and make sure your rear tire is off the ground.

Now just actuate the pedals to see if the stator is rotating inside the magnets that are located on top and bottom of the stator and that the space in between the stator assembly and the magnets on either side are approximately equal to each other.
Yes, the distance is roughly equal on the bottom and top and the stator is spinning when i pedal.

It very well could be the spark plug itself if your using the Z-4 or Z-8 series of "Crapese" "Chinesium" Chinese plugs that come with these kits...lol...Most of us here do not even use them and just chuck em into the trash can...lol...Seriously though, those crap plugs are known for failures...Get an NGK-BR6HS spark plug to replace it then see what goes on.

sg15SHU.png

Back