Brakes coaster brake too hard and LOUD

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Sowhatu, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Sowhatu

Sowhatu New Member

just decided to happen today...
    seems the coaster brake is way too touchy, slightest bit of pressure and stops too good, also when i release throttle, bring in clutch i get a LOUD screeeeching noise comming from back there.

im still a n00b to this and have no idea what is going on.

****note: bike has been sitting in shed for 1 MONTH****, only has 1 hr OF RIDING since bringing it out

oh, and its still classified as a "new" hub/rim/wheel... only have like 10 hrs of riding into it.

2. loquin

loquin Active Member

Sowhatu, this is where I would start.

3. Sowhatu

Sowhatu New Member

yeah thanks, in my panic i posted this before searching, found out to pack grease into the hub.

got it all fixed and running like new again.

Solved

4. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

A word to the wise- on any hub that can be greased, I think it would be prudent to remove all the grease the hub was delivered with and repack with automotive quality hi-temp wheel beaing grease. Standard bicycle or even standard automotive grease will not do it- especially with a coaster brake and all the heat it gets.

With my new Husky wheels with a Shimano CB-110, the original grease liquified and dripped out after one long ride. Since i repacked hi-temp bearing grease- no problems...that being said, I do not use my coaster brake to stop anymore.

5. Sowhatu

Sowhatu New Member

i packed the extreme high temp grease "560 degree" in the hub thingy... but i ALSO packed grease in the spaces that the brake shoes rub against to stop... therefore my brakes arent really that good now, they stop kinda slow cause i think they slip on grease.... or it could be i need to adjust CONE.

6. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Took my brake apart cos i wanted to see how it worked & repacked it with high-speed/high-temperature axle grease(smouthered the inside in grease,shoes included)
    When brake applied noticed no difference in stopping power from before & after repack...figured where the metal shoes contact the inner hub any residue grease burns-off almost immediately.
    If your still unhappy after a short ride start thinking about cone adjustment, OR taking it apart just to make sure nothing is incorrectly setup internally.