Confused with selections

Local time
6:17 AM
Oakdale Calif. Cowboy capital of the world
I've been to many web sites and looked over the many posts and it seems the more I look the more confusing it is getting. Here's what I'm looking for. One of the following engines/engine kits in a frame mount. Honda, Subaru/robin, Kawasaki (or other good quality brand name engine). 4 cycle is my first choice but a ring-ding would be OK. Chain drive or cog belt drive. Ability to upgrade to a multi speed or variable transmission as funds become available. If I get just the motor where can I get a good reliable drive system?
I have the resources to have parts made (idler pulleys and things like that), and am quite skilled in mechanics, but the websites I have checked out don't give the complete picture. Example:I thought I was looking at one site that had Honda motors with a nice looking drive system, but upon further investigation it was a china knock off :sick: After searching many threads, I have also discovered that each builder has his own preference of kits/mods etc. Thank you in advance for information from those of you who have already built a motored bike (or two) :bowdown:

Decide what you want to spend, whats your purpose for having it and what quality standard do you want. Narrow it down to friction or chain, then just stick with what you decided and go from there. No one can tell you what to do but the choices are endless.....good luck. For me I depend on a MAB, if I decide to get up and go some where I wanna hop on it and be able to go so dependability is a must. If the weathers crappy thats what the car is for. If its nice out im takin the MAB. I like simplicity too for me thats one of the appealing features of a MAB .......anyways you get my point im just rambling here.

I have built and used several of the 2 stroke frame mounted kits...IMO most of them are of the same quality no matter what the ads say and what you pay....I can't really recommend any of the China 2 strokes...I have also built 2 four stroke kits and have been very pleased with the quality and performance of these kits....Just make sure to stay away from the "hoot" gearboxes....I have not tried the belt drive units...Bicycle-Engines.com (Jeremy) offers both kits as well as a true Honda engine...I have been well pleased with the HuaSheng knockoff of the Honda engine.

A honda isnt a H/S and is never meant to be. For those of us that grew up with hondas we do it Right. We expect Quality and reliability.

I want Honda and chain drive. Prefer 4 stroke.The Chinese stuff I see is really a knock off and will not stand up to long term use. If Briggs and Stratton made a kit or motor that could match up with a kit then that would be acceptable. My motto is if you can't get parts easily, then re-think the whole thing. If I'm out and away from home and get a flat can I get a tube (and tire) that fits my bike? Same with a motor. I'll check out Bicycle-Engines.com and see what he has. Thanks mucho.

Back