Crank side play,48cc engine

Biker

Local time
10:25 PM
Ok i've had some running problems,and it turns out a simple new plug installed fixed the problem,gee they don't seem to last long:unsure:
Anyway i noticed the crank shaft flogging from side to side 9like near 1/8") while the magneto cover was off.Can't be good.
Has anyone gone in and shimmed the crank?Or are the bearings simply loose in the housing and letting the crank move side to side.
Are shims available?
colin

Sorry, i haven't been around here for ages.I haven't ridden the bike for ages either but last time it was fine.Now gathering
dust in the garage.Did about 3k on it and it never let me down.I've since been riding a M/cycle to work because of changed
location.Side play seemed excessive going by motorcycle standards.
colin

I just split my engine case, and noticed a shim on the crank big end. That tells me that there is a certain clearance, but I don't know what the setting is from the factory. I think it would be more important to have the proper clearance for the bearing, to keep the rod from cocking in the bore. The clearance on the small end would do more to stabilize the side-play of the rod.

Back