Cut Off-Road Rage Controlled-How ? Why ?

Hi Moneyboy - that's close - I had replied on another thread - First Flat thread - that when the day came and I got a flat - I would remember that thread - guess what ?? Yesterday WAS THAT DAY !!! And yes - I thought back to just a few days ago when I had said - that a fool is one who fools himself... I walked my MB to a bicycle shop - 2 or 3 miles - new tube and some liners. My wife thought that it was a little silly - ex-bicycle shop owner 1970-1973 - retired equip tec 1 water worker - small engine repair shop ET1 1974-2006 -- HAVING NO TUBE, OR PUMP WITH HIM. I didn't ride far today - but - where's my extra tube ?? Until then - Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Unfortunately, I think I take the crazy-guy-who-talks-himself approach.

When people cut me off, if it's not that bad of a situation I can save myself from, then I just kind of lose my temper, look in the person's eyes and start barking at them "I'm biking here! I got a bike with an engine on it and it goes 20 miles per hour and it takes time to stop this thing with my fat butt on it!"

And by that time they're already turned off and heading away. So I'm sitting there getting my bike back up to speed, fussing at thin air.

Hey Mountainman,

I read your story about the flat you got a few days ago. And of course how when it happens if you are not prepared, it usually occurrs out on the farthest part of your run, where you end up having to walk somewhere that you would certainly prefer riding to. I've just been riding my townie comfort with a MBE43 friction drive for about 8 weeks now and I'm realizing there is a lot I need to know about bikes or I could find myself in a pretty dicey situation. I knew I should learn how to repair a flat but I had one and just took it in to the local bike shop. (easy!). Anyway I at least have been carrying some stuff with me including a tire repair kit, tube and a few necessary tools. So about a week ago I had my bike on the back of my toyota RV at a Del Taco and I come out after lunch and someone had stolen the bike basket. So I'm looking for the same basket and no shop has it and there is no place to carry my tool kit and supplies and I'm not worried, because I knew I get the basket soon and have my stuff back with me. Then I read your article about flats and the next day I decided to ride out by a flood control project near my house, up on the concrete passway above it. Plenty of gravel and burrs from brush and trees ling the flood control project. Went OK and the next morning took an early am ride down a paved bike path in Burbank thinking when I het tired I start my motor and whoop to do be back to the RV in no time. Well on the way back I'm struggling topedal on level pavement. You know the rest my rear wheel was flat. It had a burr in it from the previous nights ride. Did I have a Tool with me, a tire kit? Even a pump? No not even a bottle of water because I hadn't switched my bottle rack from my other bike I had damaged from running into a light pole! (Thats another story, had my helmet on but was knocked unconcious and woke up in the paramedics ambulance in a neck brace with the paramedic showing me my helmet with tthe crack in it that saved my bacon).

So I had to walk back to the RV (only about a mile) with your flat tire story ringing in my head. Next day (still haven't found a basket yet) went to Sepulved a basin wild life preserve for a nice am pedal ride along trails with cotton tails leaping across the trails now and then. These trails are mainly dirt, gravel and small bits of plant foliage. Then I decide to kick the engine on and really sit back and take it easy. I just out about the farthest point of my journey and the engine is starting to race and I'm thinking what goes? Maybe somethings wrong with the throttle? Then it hits me maybe its because the tire is no linger connecting to the friction drive. I kill the engine get off and sure enough the rear (most important) tire is flat. Needless to say I'm not to thrilled about hauling that bike out of there but not much choice, except that I did learn slightly from the day befores experience. I had brought along one of those devices that you put the co2 cartridge in to pump up the tire. I said to myself maybe this will hold enough to get me all the way back on the engine or evenall the way back. Happy ending there, I got all the way back out of there to the RV with about 15 lbs of pressure left in the tire. The rest of the story is that when I arrive home the front tire was also flat! Go figure.

I think I get it that you should be prepared with at least the necessities before you go on any major outing. By the way I enjoy all of the comments and stories coming from you.

Happy Riding

Moneyboy

Try these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKCSGbWbPyE

Warner

question -- how do I handle it -- when cut off

most of the time - I say nothing
sometimes I thank God - that I am still alive after all of these crazy years
when I lose it - I scream out something and give them a dirty look
when I am real stupid I pull to the side of the roadway - like I am ready to fight
then I realize that they can just run me over with their car
I was not hit -- this time -- WHAT'S MY PROBLEM ???

Time to thank God -- one more time..........

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Back