CVT questions

I found this CVT on Amazon for $62.88. Same as the Bravex if you look closely at the fins on the aluminum mounting plate. I think a lot of these sellers, along with Bravex, all buy from the same manufacturer HKD. Pricing varies only on sellers precieved proffit margin. Thanks for all of your help. This wasn't as confusing as I thought it might be.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YQHS2J...d_r=52540326-7444-4f7f-803d-11ae8d7ab27b&th=1

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I found this CVT on Amazon for $62.88. Same as the Bravex if you look closely at the fins on the aluminum mounting plate. I think a lot of these sellers, along with Bravex, all buy from the same manufacturer HKD. Pricing varies only on sellers precieved proffit margin. Thanks for all of your help. This wasn't as confusing as I thought it might be.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YQHS2J...d_r=52540326-7444-4f7f-803d-11ae8d7ab27b&th=1
You do what you want. I know a lot of the Other manufacturers use a metric shaft & bearings. Not the True 5/8" shaft & standard bearings like the Comet or Bravex.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Also these Other manufacturers list their shaft as being 5/8" but when you receive your torque convertor, you come to find out its a metric shaft & your sprockets fit loose. Not real bad loose, but not right. They will wobble.

Good to know and it doesn't surprise me one bit. Thanks. I thought this was going to be easy until I found one seller with a picture I have never seen. It shows the chain coming out between the pully and the INSIDE of the aluminum plate. I had assumed the shaft and final drive sprocket would go through the plate and be on the outside like with our conventional chain drive transmissions. Does the chain on a Bravex also exit on the inside ?? I think I saw a video where this kid said he had to have a special shaft made. I'm going back to find it. I have never seen a CVT in real life, only pictures.

Good to know and it doesn't surprise me one bit. Thanks. I thought this was going to be easy until I found one seller with a picture I have never seen. It shows the chain coming out between the pully and the INSIDE of the aluminum plate. I had assumed the shaft and final drive sprocket would go through the plate and be on the outside like with our conventional chain drive transmissions. Does the chain on a Bravex also exit on the inside ?? I think I saw a video where this kid said he had to have a special shaft made. I'm going back to find it. I have never seen a CVT in real life, only pictures.
Yep you'll need to buy a 10" long 5/8" shaft, if you want to run the sprocket on the outboard side of the torque convertor. But yes all the torque convertors run the sprocket on the inboard side.
Actually you might get away with a 8" long shaft.

Years ago they made a torque convertor where the sprocket could be configured on the inboard or outboard sides. It was mainly used on mini-bikes.

Also keep in mind on the predator style engines when running a torque convertor. That you can only put a maximum sprocket tooth count of about 15 if you run the sprocket on the outboard side of the torque convertor. If you go too big on the sprocket count it will hit the block/cylinder head.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on this build. There's a u-tube video where this kid put a CVT suggected for a 212cc on a 79cc engine. He was worried about this also. He said it worked just fine as he drove off down the street.
I'm aware of the 5/8 to 3/4 sleeve. Thanks for the heads up.
The weights and springs, if needed, really aren't that expensive

Thanks Jerry. I need to measure the wheel circumference to determine the exact diameter.
Diameter × π = Circumferance.

To get true diameter, place a level on top of the tire. Obtain level. Then measure from the bottom of the level to the ground. My Kendra 838' tires fully inflated true diameter is 26.25".

Back