Deluxe Phantom gear Mount problem

foamer

Local time
8:38 AM
First I a new be at motor bicycles, but I do have lots of mechanical experience other things , after reviceing my Phantom motor kit I relized that it only comes with a HD hub and drum brake so I would have to respoke the rear wheel with the HD new hub. Anybody have any put ? should I just get a standard sprocket and split mounting or should I go for and try and rebuild the wheel. Help !!!!!

Avoid those horrible 'rag-joint' sprocket mounts.

Perhaps before rebuilding the wheel, you could check out 'Manic Mechanic's sprocket/mount.
(I think that 'Pirate Cycles' sells them these days.)
It clamps to the hub, with three lugs extending through the spokes for the sprocket to bolt onto. I haven't used one, but they look far better than the cheap Chinese setups.

Having said that, the best option is a 'Sick Bike Parts' shift-kit. Do away with the LHS sprocket/chain/tensioner altogether.

Last edited:
I spent a couple of years in Exmouth back when I was in the navy 1980-1982 nice place no rush kind place to live back then (good fishing and good beer), I think its a resort now. The hub I got has a thread on sprocket interchangeable from 40 to 52 and a drum brake but I am no wheel builder.

Well, you're one up on me. I've never been to Western Australia. (The only state in Oz that I haven't seen.)
I'll get there eventually.

Good beer is one thing Australia is good at. Despite that, I make my own, a lager. I run 2 x 23 litre fermenters full-time. (Sampling a drop as I write.)

It would still be nice to have the wheel built at your leisure. A spare is always great to have. I don't care for rag joints but they do work. I have a sprocket mount and engine mounts on the way. Looking foward to there arival.

Back