Do I need a hotter plug??

MattHatter

Local time
2:03 PM
Hey guys I'm looking for advice here, I have a CDH 66/80cc China doll with expansion chamber. Recently I decided to bring my compression up by removing 1mm from the jug surface by sanding on glass. The surgery went very well and is all buttoned back up with a noticable change in compression and power. My problem is that it seems to take a lot longer to warm up than before, although once it does, it rips. Will going to a hotter plug help it warm up faster? I plan to buy the CDH cnc milled high compression head and don't want it to take 5 minutes to warm up lol.

Hey guys I'm looking for advice here, I have a CDH 66/80cc China doll with expansion chamber. Recently I decided to bring my compression up by removing 1mm from the jug surface by sanding on glass. The surgery went very well and is all buttoned back up with a noticable change in compression and power. My problem is that it seems to take a lot longer to warm up than before, although once it does, it rips. Will going to a hotter plug help it warm up faster? I plan to buy the CDH cnc milled high compression head and don't want it to take 5 minutes to warm up lol.
Plug has nothing to do with engine warm up. Do you have a big head?

No it's stock.. so that has me thinking maybe I need to check my squish. It runs rough til it's warm, almost like it's too rich but instead of four stroking it cuts out periodically.

No it's stock.. so that has me thinking maybe I need to check my squish. It runs rough til it's warm, almost like it's too rich but instead of four stroking it cuts out periodically.
if it cuts out then just takes off like a rocket after the chuggin, you're probably lean. Do a plug chop to see. Check at all throttle positions you have problems. I wouldn't worry bout squish right now.

Okay, I'll go ahead and buy a new plug and chop it and I'll get back with you on the results. Probably later this evening..going to do some body work.

Well here is the plug chop, warmed it up and held it through the rough misses and troubled areas like you said. Idk if this is a good picture or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_164713141.jpg
    IMG_20210920_164713141.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 167
Well here is the plug chop, warmed it up and held it through the rough misses and troubled areas like you said. Idk if this is a good picture or not.
It's a great picture, but you have to put a few miles on the plug before it will show any kind of burn.

First off, I would like to say thank you guys for taking the time to help me with my issue. Turns out, Karl you was right ( sure that's not the first time! ). After you said it sounds like a lean condition, I began to look further, and last night during my plug chop adventure, I noticed as I pulled the clutch in my idle was slowly creeping back down. Today, I decided maybe I should check my base gasket, and intake gasket for possible tears. Sure enough the base gasket was torn. Installed a new one and just went for a ride, problems are solved! Here is my plug after today's 5 mile ride.

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_122906004.jpg
    IMG_20210921_122906004.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 157
Back