Does This Exist? - 36h, live axle bicycle/tricycle hub with keyway?

klassard

Local time
9:18 PM
I've been google-ing my eyes out today and I'm trying to find something that may not exist, so I'm turning to the experts.

I'm looking for a hollow hub, like the ones on trikes. However, I'm looking for one with a keyway so that the axle itself can drive the rear wheel. I want to build a mega-heavy duty electric with a Briggs etek motor.

I'd like to be able to pedal without turning the motor. I figure a good way to do this is with a live axle in the back and two freewheel/adapters, one on either side of the hub. Since it is a live axle, either freewheel could drive the hub without affecting the freewheel on the other side. Also, I could put on axle-mounted disk brakes using a go-Kart kit.

I've accomplished the same basic mechanical result before with a jackshaft, three chains, and a several sprockets but the look is very cluttered (see "Sally" in the gallery). I think this would be cleaner and would also let me contribute more power to the wheel when I pedaled since the right side would have its own gear ratio.

Anyone know if such a beast exists?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
wow rat great work. i want put an occ chopper trike together and also have been stuck on this subject. my power is a honda 50cc clone 3spd auto. thanks a lot. i have a rat b*******s club plaque in my pick up rear window. mitch

Back