e-Biker Birmingham UK England

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by monster, Jan 20, 2008.

1. monster

monster New Member

hi all

i ride a 1.5kw electric bike around Birmingham UK. its a sweet ride but the range is only 10 miles. my commute to work is only 3.5miles so this is normally not a problem. i probably would have bought a motored bike if the laws in this country weren't so arcane but now im really happy with my (illegal) e-bike. i've just bought more batteries so 25 miles soon.

i hope you all have good brakes
    happy riding, Matthew

2. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

G'day man and welcome to MBc.
    I'm assuming it's illegal because of the power not the whole e-concept?
    We have a pathetic 200 watts here but those laws are being reviewed.........about time. :rolleyes:
  3. mickey

mickey Guest

Welcome aboard, Matthew
  4. monster

monster New Member

we have 200watts here but its continuous power not peak power so its no so bad as down under.

we should all be allowed 1hp -because they let horses have that on the road and they don't need insurance!
  5. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D
  6. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

welcome !
  7. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Welcome from the Giant Side of Texas!
  8. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

IC engined bikes are NOT illegal - they have never been illegal. They are still covered under the laws set up for the old cyclemotors. There are some additions to a bike you have to install but these can be bought off the web for the grand total of about £50.

Glad you are having fun with the E-Bike. I did consider one but the range and the weight/performance just wasnt enough *sigh*

Jemma xx
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  9. Scottm

Scottm Guest

E-bikes are not quite as messy as horses either. Welcome to MBc.