Egor's Schwinn

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Egor, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Egor

Egor Guest

Well I took the Schwinn out for a ride today. The carb makes a big difference, it just clicks along as happy as a Happy Time bike should. I need to get some more pictures of this bike. Have fun, Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi egor; wow that is beautiful, fine paint.

3. BSA

BSA Guest

That is one brilliant bike. Like the paint job on the engine.

BSA

4. Egor

Egor Guest

Thanks this is the best looking bike I have. I have polished the engine cases now and added the 18mm Kehin carb also. I am going to get a early stile luggage rack and paint it to match. This bike always gets the looks, and it is a dream to ride. I am going to look for a head light for the front fender, I would like to find one that looks like a Phantom light. Have fun, Dave

PS: All I have for brakes is the coaster it is not good enough for sure. I am installing the clamp brake on the front but I would like to have a drum for the front.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  5. bushido

bushido Member

very sweet bike, id like to see how you made out with the polishing, post pics!

6. Egor

Egor Guest

Some pics of the polished engine and the new carb. The carb was off a Yamaha so there is no provision for an air filter, I have not figured out what I will do yet. The tank is from an XR75 Honda, just sitting on the Electra what so you think? Ignore the mess. Have fun Dave

Attached Files:

7. honda tanks

I like honda tanks. I scored a beat up one from a QA50 on eBay, bondo'd the heck out of it, and just finished painting it last night. It came out pretty good. I managed to ding it when the paint was still soft but it looks good with my bike.

First picture of it is how I got it, last is dry mounted on the bike.

Honda makes 'em tough!

I love the tank. It's unique and really makes the MB your own.

Attached Files:

8. secondchancevt

secondchancevt New Member

9. Egor

Egor Guest

It is actually a 29, been in there for about 25 years, it will be a traditional hot rod when done. It has a 27 Chev engine and a 37 Chrysler steering, a dropped forty axle. My Dad ran cars on the lakes back in the day. You know the sign of a real hot rod er is when you will take your car out in the rain, LOL. A small block with a puffer, that has to be fun. Have fun, Dave

Shoes - I have a QA50, and a green one at that.

10. secondchancevt

secondchancevt New Member

My plate was H8RAIN...lol...

Happy motoring!

11. Egor

Egor Guest

I added a head light to the bike today, what do you think? It has a expencive halogen bulb in it now, I need to find a way to install a small 6v bulb. Another idea I had was to install an array of LED's and just put some battery's in the unit. I think it gives it an early look. I have a pic of my Dad with his Whizzer back in the day and they were so proud of the huge lights on the front of there bikes, I thought it would be nice to replicate the look. Have fun, Dave

Attached Files:

12. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice !!!
    looks great :cool2:

13. Hawk

Hawk Member

Hi Dave,
    Just a couple months late but I put this front drum brake on my '57 Schwinn Corvette. First I bought a vintage drum but had trouble finding a bike shop to lace it...so I went this route......complete and cheaper. Where did you get your exhaust pipe & muffler??? I love it!
    Jim

http://www.huskybicycles.com/Mercha...=500-219&Category_Code=wheels&Product_Count=4

14. Egor

Egor Guest

Jim - I was looking at the bike parts at Husky, and they look like they have the best deal in town. I wonder if the shipping would mess it up? I like the brake in that wheel. What do you think of it, I have a brake like that on my Whizzer and it just barely gets the job done. I have a 40's RoadMaster that I need wheels for, I think I will order them from Husky. The pipe on the Schwinn I made from 3/4 conduit, I just used the bender to get the bends I wanted. I think it looks cool. I would like to get some polished S Steel and make a perfect one. Have fun, Dave

PS: I have laced a lot of wheels, the problem is that you need a spoke threader, then make up your own set of spokes, as the length is not the same with the larger hub.

15. Hawk

Hawk Member

Dave,
    Well, all I had was a coaster brake....and no way to attach a disc brake ( without welding on a "tab"). So it seems worlds better to me. I kinda wanted to keep the vintage look anyway. So this was an easy solution. It is not as effective as a disc or hand brake but it works okay for me. I haven't had to do any emergency stops yet! Lets say it is better than a coaster brake...since it is on the front I haven't tried slamming it on yet. I try to used them together and haven't had a problem. Oh I had to get a handle bar lever...it does not come with the lever. I got it at the same time....for a little more. BTW if you want to lace it...Sturmey Archer has a drum brake also comes with a "Dyno"....a generator to run your lights! Hope this helps.
    Jim

16. Hawk

Hawk Member

Dave,
    just noticed you are in Long Beach...have you gone to the Motorcycle & Bicycle Swap Meet at Vetern's Stadium?

https://toppingevents.com/socal_cycle.asp

That's where I met a guy who made my motor mount for me, he lives and has a shop in Long Beach.
    Manny at "Old School Garage"
    Here's his "You Tube Promo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_qEA81KLRQ

And his "My Space" with his wife and some of his bikes!! ( He is lots more under "oldschoolgarage" on My space.)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=55019872&albumId=1833866

But he is Rat Rod/Rock-a-Billy Style...not the way I finished my bike. I live about 120 miles east...near Palm Springs.

Jim

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  17. azbill

azbill Active Member

egor...I have had the X-FD for well over 8000m now...excellent stopping power for me :cool2:

18. Egor

Egor Guest

I have not been to that swap meet for a lot of years. I have a problem when I go I need to buy everything, and there is no more room in the garage. It used to be free to get in when I went.
    Thanks Bill, I am considering that wheel big time.

PS: You should see the other side of the Hot Rod, LOL

Attached Files: