Electric board track racer

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by bromoto, Apr 11, 2013.

1. bromoto

bromoto New Member

There is a company who makes classic looking 66cc board track racer bicycles. They are called "Derringer".
    [​IMG]
    So my thought is instead of a gas or gas/oil mixture type bike. but have it be electric but go off this same style bike.....

Any thoughts?

thanks.

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I've seen a few and they look cool. Here is a pic of one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. bromoto

bromoto New Member

wheelbender6- I like that one alot. I like the look of fixed gear bicycles. However, due to the fixed gear means i have to constantly pedal even when the electric motor is on. Although I want to know if i use a 1000w front hub motor then could I get away with not pedaling?

4. wheelbender6

You should be able to spin off your fixed gear cog from the rear wheel and replace with a BMX freewheel cog so that you can coast.
    A hub motor on the front should work. If you prefer range over speed, get a small, internally geared hub motor rated at 350-450w. if range is not that important, mount the 1000w hub motor and hang on.

5. bromoto

bromoto New Member

thanks man, i'll look into a bmx freewheel cog...and i like range but also want to enjoy some speed too....guess I just want the best of both worlds.

6. bromoto

bromoto New Member

wheelbender6- If I purchase a bmx freewheel cog...how do I know which one to buy????

7. bobo333

bobo333 Member

have a look on sickbikeparts.com for freewheel cogs, they make a "shift kit" for petrol bikes that uses the same principle and im pretty sure you can buy the freewheel seperately

8. bromoto

bromoto New Member

So, i've decided to go with a fixie. Walmart has one for $99.95, contacted a local bike shop and for $20 they will install a freewheel sprocket. only question now is can I still install a rear hub motor, with the rear sprocket still allow it to be a freewheel?

9. wheelbender6

I would stick with a front hub motor for simplicity, and it looks like a big drum brake. If you want to use a rear hub motor, you can get them with a gear cluster on them.

10. bromoto

bromoto New Member

thanks wheelbender, you really have alot of good information for me. I've read that front hubs are good as long as you use a torque arm to secure the front wheel on....in case it doesnt fly off while riding...

However i've also read that you can get more performance and power with a rear hub? is that true?

11. wheelbender6

Rear hub motors are faster only because you can safely mount a more powerful motor on the back. People usually don't mount motors over 500w on the front wheel, because you can damage or ruin the fork. Sellers usually recommend that only steel forks (no aluminum crown) be used with 500w motors. You can find suspension forks with a steel crown, but they mostly have 1" threaded steer tubes.
    I would use a torque arm whether you mount the motor on the front or back. They aren't expensive and prevent damage and accidents.

12. TheCrystalSkull

TheCrystalSkull New Member

There are mid-drive kits on the market. Hubs are cool in their ease of use, but I've had fun with my non-hub electric setup.

P5030042.jpg

It uses the sickbikeparts.com freewheel, a gearbox from Andymark (robot parts) and a Turnigy G160 (2700w or 3.75hp) from hobbyking.

13. Easy Rider

Easy Rider New Member

I finished my eBike a couple of weeks ago. I would recommend getting a Golden Motors 1000w rear hub. It's super clean and the controller is built into the rear hub. I rode a front wheel drive eBike and it felt weird going around a corner at full throttle.
    I love my eBike because its low maintenance. I've got over 200+ miles on my bike and although I check my bike over before I ride, nothing has came loose or broke unlike my gasser.

14. TheCrystalSkull

TheCrystalSkull New Member

That's cool, I hear good stuff about that motor, for the most part. Myself, I have no interest in hub-motors for my own use after running and RC motor through the gears, not as stealth but still a lot of fun. Now, running a frame/mid-mounted hub motor, on the other hand, is the something I want to try. The available torque is supposed to be impressive.

As it is, though, I've since converted this bike to gas, but plan on installing a supplemental electric drive. So it'll be a parallel hybrid then, I guess.