engine died while riding and won't fire back up

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the stator coils mounting screws get loose or some corrosion forms then the ignition stops working because the screws electrical connection to the stator coils frame is an important ground path

hello,
I was riding my 66cc MB today and I was running great up in till 10miles in my trip where it suddenly lost power and s**t off. I tried to start and it would not. I have a audio clip (actually took video in my pocket and didn't know it) of it dying out. but it won't let me post a video. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I can't figure it out. I have the two wire Magneto that has a blue and black lead coming out of it. I tried to test ohms with my multimeter but it's reading zero. (Not sure if I'm doing it correct or its fried). The only other time I've had this issue is when I crossed the leads from the magneto to the CDI (black-blue and blue-black) I was thinking of just buying a new Magneto and slapping it on but then I thought maybe it wasn't the issue. Any Info would be awesome.

these magneto's are known for going out like that and since your not getting a reading with the meter it is most likely fried. put a new one on they're cheap enough that you can keep a spare with you in your tool bag, fanny bag or wherever you keep emergency tools while riding. if you don't keep emergency tools and parts you might want to start because these things happen when you least expect it and ten miles from home is a long way to peddle a heavy mountain bike with a engine on it i know this for a fact. i now keep a spare mag and cdi just in case.

something else you might want to do is get some blue rtv from your local auto parts store and pull the mag cover off and put rtv all the way around the seal to keep moisture out. if the mag gets even a little wet it will fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back