Engine Noise

Besides the exhaust, where are all the places that noise comes out of the engine? And any suggestions to help quiet them?
there pretty quiet for the get go,
your next loudest thing would be the chain area and the clutch bell.

other than making sure the clutch gears greased, you cant expect much (maybe remove the bottom exhaust bolt and add some fiberglass into the cap?)

These engines are aluminum all engine noises are amplified.
If ya want to pin point some engine noises use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope.
Try wrapping your motor in foam rubber that should quiet it down. LOL

Big Bobby mentioned the fins on the cylinder. All aircooled engines "ring" a little, the noises made by the reciprocating piston and the engine burning fuel makes a lot of internal noise that gets amplified by the engine's cooling fins. Back in the days of 1970's enduro motorcycles with big 2 cycle engines with big head and cylinder cooling fins, they used to have little silicone rubber blocks fitted into the fins at odd positions to dampen this ringing noise.

You could buy 3/16" OD silicone autmobile vacuum hose, cut them to 1/2" chunks and do the same with your engine. I wouldn't over do it as some of that hosing will reduce your cooling area.

Any nonmetal attached to the fins of a two stroke would prevent
efficient cooling. Keep these fins clean to prevent over-heating.

If you're running so hot that you can't put 4 ¹/² inch pieces of silicon tubing on your fins for noise dampening you are way way too lean. Unless it's a race machine richen it up a little.

I have a few on the fins of my engine heads, and cylinders, seems all the little pieces of tube do is cut down on the actual "PING" and doesn't really imrpove the noise, in my opinion.

The clutch plate cover, if dampened on the inside and outside takes down some noise, just remember, you're riding on top of a screaming little engine, your ears will suck up alot of noise :D

The Carburator, well i have not figured out how to build this carb baffle box to dampen the sounds from the carb.
In my opinion, most of the noise, after the exhast noise, comes from the carb.

:unsure:

I thought my motor was **extremely** loud. I asked my friend if he too thought it was really loud. he said he could barely hear it from about 30 feet away. I found that hard to believe,... but there it is.

Put hot block putty on the outside of the engine. This absorbs heat up to 3000⁰, which is over twice the heat from a 2 stroke. It will also cool the metal its on and is reusable for life. Then you can put a sound insulating box or whatever around it without worrying about overheating.

Back