first time builder

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Osedax, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Osedax

Osedax New Member

HI
    New to this and all, live in north texas, decided to get tis instead of a 150cc scooter.the cost was the deciding factior, still in research mode , any suggestions on who has the (best:rolleyes7:, easiest DIY) basic motor skills motor kits, I mean they look pretty much the same(china engine with usa parts ie tank,cables) thanks

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. One reason people tend to buy a 2 stroke China girl for their first build is that it has 4:1 gear reduction built in to the engine (no jackshaft or external gearbox required). Most other engines will require a gearbox or jackshaft for gear reduction between the crankshaft and rear wheel. The exception is friction drive. There is adequate reduction between the drive roller and rear wheel on a friction drive kit.

3. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

welcome to the form I,m a Texan as well
    Go 100% American made if you got the cash.
    You do know in Texas to ride a (MB) Motorized Bicycle/Scooter under 50CC you have to have a Class M (Moped) Licenses,
    Any MB/Moped over 50CC you have to have a motorcycle licenses in the State Of Texas
    The kits are pretty simple for most to put on a bicycle.

When you get over 50CC on a MB/Moped it falls under the motorcycle rules, like front back breaks lights , turn signals and so on .
    I believe you even have to register/safety inspect and insured them just like a motorcycle.

If I was you and had to have a Motorcycle Licenses, i would just get a small motorcycle.