full time ban on moped/motorized bicycles

From what Ive read only NSW allows bikes powered by petrol engines all the others only allow electric. All states stipulate under 200 watts.

If we need to prove the bikes are under 200 watts either get a statement from a dyno guy or stamp your block. I think that would be enough for an officer to back off.

They dont want to go to court any more than you do.

Ive been ridding my bike a lot and have seen heaps of police on the road. They always just drive by. I guess it only takes one picky one.

that ****s crazy.they want you to have to get a car and pay insurance and high gas prices.they even have stop light cameras to watch real close now.wake up sheeple.

Once the police officer pulls the dyno out the boot of his car and tests your bike, you're right to go!lol In all seriousness I know of 2 people being busted by the christies beach police (on HT's) and both cases went to court. Common sense prevailed, thank God, and they were thrown out. In both cases the people were riding around 25km/hr when picked up, which is what the legislation here states a 200w motor should do 'around'./www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/light_vehicles/power_assisted_bicycles.asp.
If people ride MB's like fools then they need to be sorted, but what has gone on here smells a little brown. Classic revenue raising once again with 'on the spot fines' because the police down there are not getting the desired outcomes in court. Only one bike store has been selling street legal 200w HT style motors here for some time and they are north. Due to some pushing and demand there will very soon be 200w HT style motors everywhere, which in turn will create blissful confusion to no end, then whatch them sort out what's watt. The whole safety thing comes back to policing a safe speed (which I know is debatable, however 25km/hr is thrown around loosley in the fact sheet above) not the almost impossible measuring of watts. Nothing in the current SA legislation states you need compliance plates or any kind of paper work, but if you can produce something, you may find yourself better off. Hey, some of them may even consider going back to chasing real criminals, naah! anyone for more doughnuts:devilish:

I was in my local cop shop about a month ago, they have a big poster up stating that motored bicycles are legal with either electric or petrol engines.

So long as they have a power rating of no more than 200W.

Which as far as I am concerned is all mine does, as I bought it here in Oz and I dont carry a pocket dyno to prove otherwise. Mr officer, sir.

I have seen heaps of cops on the road, all give me a friendly wave when riding. But I wear all the necessary gear, my bike looks clean and well made, nothing loose. I have reflectors and good lights for night riding. **** I have even had cops in my house and they saw my bike and didnt even comment.

In a nutshell, so long as your bike doesnt look like a death trap and you arent being a tard riding it, your sweet.

Edit: Wanger, a fellow rider and member of this forum even had his bike nicked, the cops helped getting it back from the scrotes that stole it. they didnt confiscate it, just assitsed in Wangers getting it back.

Last edited:
I was in my local cop shop about a month ago, they have a big poster up stating that motored bicycles are legal with either electric or petrol engines.

Can you go back and take a photo of it,
and post it back here ?

I'd pay money to see that.
Well, I'll be printing copies once you do.

yes i would be printing copies of that too! and i have a buddy who makes labels im guna make a label stating my engine is 48cc and has 198w power output, but that poster would be awesome! please could you post a PIC?

So if thats the story then maybe i,ll just take mine to the dump & be done with it.
The fun police have won again(NOT).
Put kevin rudd on one & he will have a ball & probably buy one.
I dare say a few "fun police" own these too.
I live on the gold coast qld & havent passed a cop yet so i don't know what will happen.
Qld has an extremely high toll of motorcycle deaths but not pushbikes.
motored or not.This has to be a safer method of transport than that.
I think to police an environmentally economic mode of transport as good as this is just another way of the government to raise more revenue.
WAKE UP YOU GOVERNMENT ****HEADS & GET A LIFE!!!!!

"The fun police have won again(NOT)."

I hear ya, It's a wonder their kind even survives evolution and the female of the species allows them to mate...

Also to hey you good thing
""40k to 50k""These racing light weight things (pedal powered) do about 80k.
Maybe they should ban them too.
Or isnt that unsafe without a motor.

Dont know what the cops are gonna think when I start taking photo's of the posters in their front office. But might give it a go. Also who can get a copy of the article from the southern messenger, My partner reads our one (the northern) front to back and if we had the same article she would have pointed it out.

Edit: I did a full search of the messengers web site, this is the only thing that came up
http://messenger-news.whereilive.com.au/news/story/power-cycle-warning/

Which we have all seen before. It was run in the southern edition of the messenger

Last edited:
Back