Gary Fisher Aquelia build... The Rotten Orange

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by datz510, Jul 6, 2008.

1. datz510

datz510 Member

Today's $200 Craigslist score. This is a Gary Fisher Aquila MTB. This will be the bike that I'll be installing Ghost0's jackshaft kit on. It is a 27 speed from the start, so this thing is going to have just a wicked range of gearing available. It'll be running a 48cc boygofast slanthead engine, which will be painted flat black with some orange tribal flames to match the rest of the bike.

Ghost0s kit will also be color matched to the bike. I can't wait to start getting this bike together!!!! So, Ghost0, if you are reading this, lemme know when orders need to be in and I'd like to have one of the first ones out the door for this puppy.

Here are the pics:

Overview of the stance of the bike:

Kenda Kinetic Kevlar tires (Had to ditch one due to damage, but wil be looking for a replacement kevlar equivalent):

Iron cross pedals.. pretty pimp:

The headset lock says it all:

This sticker will totally fit the bike once the engine is installed:

Deore LX derailleurs:

Count them.. NINE gears out back.. yeah baby!

Mavic wheels.. These run nice and true.

linear pull brakes front and rear. Stop this puppy on a dime!

2. NunyaBidness

NunyaBidness Member

nice bike
    I got an old steel frame Mtn bike (off brand I never heard of before) that's gong to get the motor and jackshaft. When I get all the bugs ironed out the motor and jackshaft will go onto a TREK 6000 series frame, with disc brakes, 9-speed cassette and a real nice front shock that I forgot the name of since I took all the stickers of my bike years ago.
    with the jackshaft, from the pictures I've seen, it looks as if you only have 2 chainrings up front, 1 driven by the pedals, the other driven by the motor. This would only leave a 9-speed cassette available as far as gears go.
    but a 9-speed, disc brake, hard tail mtn bike with a 70cc motor would be an absolute blast to ride.
  3. datz510

datz510 Member

There are 3 chainrings up front. I figure the largest will get driven by the jackshaft then I can choose between the other two rings to drive the 9 sprockets out back.
  4. That's gonna fly.
    That seat says "Ouch" though. :grin:
    I could never understand how roadies can roll on seats so harsh.
  5. datz510

datz510 Member

Oh I know. The seat is the first thing to go. I'm gonna pick up a nice gel suspnsion seat from walmart to replace it. I have one on my current motored bike and its an absolute joy to ride on. I can ride 30-40 miles and my bum is as happy as can be.

Just looking at that seat, its also no wonder why so many roadies go sterile..

One thing I forgot to mention is that once this new bike is finished, I am going to give away my first motored bike to my longtime roommate who is in need of cheap transportation. Hes currently disabled, having had 2 heart attacks and diabetes and is on social security disability. He has a hard time putting gas in his VW bug, as he just cant afford it.

Rather than selling my current bike, I feel that giving it away to someone that needs it will bring myself and my friend/roommate a lot more joy. It'll also give him a lot more freedom. I have about $600 invested in my current motored bike, but I figure it is just money and I'll be a lot happier about helping someone that can really use it.

So, if thats a good enough reason to want to get one of the first jackshaft kits off the shelf, I'll gladly fork over the $$$ ahead of time to Ghost0 and his business partner. The sooner I get this bike together, the better.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  6. NunyaBidness

NunyaBidness Member

now that is cool
    me thinks the world would be a much better place if more people thought like you did

*edit for spelling*
    I can speel, I just can't tpye ;)
  7. datz510

datz510 Member

Oh, I almost forgot.. the original wheels/tires had presta valve tubes installed. I hate presta valves, so I stripped the wheels down to the rims and drilled the valve hole large enough for the shraeder valve to fit through. THen, I installed a brand new set of heavy duty slime tubes in the tires and put it all back together.

I dunno why, but I just really dont like presta valves.
  8. datz510

datz510 Member

Picked up a new wide Gel seat yesterday from walmart, since those narrow seats and I just dont agree. I'll get that installed sometime today when I feel like it.

Also, I stripped down the HT motor to check it out and pull out all the hardware to replace it with high grade stuff from ACE.

Next thing on the list will be to order up a double kickstand, rear rack, and a few other goodies that I just love on my other bike. SInce I am giving my ENTIRE other bike to my disabled friend, I have to pick up a second of everything I put on that bike for this one.

I'll also be ordering up a set of new shifters for the handlebars; The ones on this bike are pretty beat up and sicne I'll be going with the jackshaft drive, I need to know exactly what gear Im in at all times.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  9. datz510

datz510 Member

Here are some updated photos of the bike build. I have all the old components stripped off, including handlebars and front deraileur (wont be needing it). Also added a suspension seatpost, 25.4 to 27.2 seatpost adapter for the new post, and a really nice rear rack:

First off, here are my two supervisors, making sure I put this bike together correctly:

Removed derailer:

New headlight arrangement: Nice and out of the way:

Rear rack.. This sucker is extremely heavy duty. Easy install as wel:

The whole bike as it sits right now.. kinda naked looking without an engine on it!

Gettng close to the handlebar height that I need. I think I am going to see if I can find a steeper angle stem to raise the bars up another inch or so and bring them just a bit closer to me.

Squishy Gel seat will have to do until I can save up for a nice Brooks saddle:
  10. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

That rack is the best. Makes this bike look real serious. What you doin' up? I thought you would be in a drugged sleep for a day or two after the ride today. I wanna build my bicycle too.
  11. datz510

datz510 Member

My sleep schedule is still all whacked out. back hurts, so no sleepy. Gonna take some pain meds soon.

Yeah, I'm really debating on whether to even put the baskets on the side of this one. THe rack itself is very tactical looking, I think. On the website, they said the weight rating on the rack was over 100lb!!! Very solid rack.
  12. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

You might invest in a good pannier set for a lighter more versatile carry option. The fold out baskets are not so cool but are convenient. For our off road adventures to come the panniers would be superior.
  13. datz510

datz510 Member

Good call. I think that's what I'll do. This rack has all the clips and tiedown points for the panniers. It'd be nice to be able to run around without all the cargo equipment when I just want to get out and ride.

ANOTHER possibility would be to weld up brackets to adapt the steel baskets to a pannier mount, allowing them to be removed just like a pannier bag and switched out for other cargo schemes.. kinda like a modular design.

I can't wait to get all the parts for the gas tanks. THAT is going to be a fun addition to the bikes. I calculated out the volume I can get based on the scrap steel I have available. We'll have our choice of between 0.43 gal minimum up to 0.54 gal maximum.

The .43 gal tank would be 8" wide x 4" diameter.

The .54 gal tank would be 10" wide x 4" diameter.

These tanks would have mounting brackets welded as needed, wherever needed. Then coated with motorcycle tank sealer internally and painted.

I was also thinking.. If I wanted to go with a real "tactical" style on this bike, I could build a custom triangular tank fit exactly to the underside of the top tube and run partway down the down tube . Th fill cap would be a steel elbow coming out one side of it at the highest point. I have enough steel to do either style (and then some). Probably enough for 4-5 custom tanks at least. Might be fun to brainstorm some custom designs for your bike, since your carb has a reed valve lift pump built into it.

Either way, the cylindrical tanks will be built. If I dont use mine, I'll put it up for sale here.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  14. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

You bet, those will be great tanks. The tubular tanks are good but I also like custom doing them to fit available space. That is part of the beauty of custom work. One of a kind pieces all over the place.
  15. azbill

azbill Active Member

you could try an adjustable stem
    it might give you all the rise you need
    just a thought :D
  16. datz510

datz510 Member

I found a 135mm 125 degree stem on today and got that ordered. That will let me use my RockShox Judy DH '96 fork that I scored off craigslist since the steer tube on that one is a little shorter... The Judy DH should be MUCH much superior to the SL fork that is on the Gary Fisher right now. Built much stronger too.

With the new stem, even with the shorter steer tube, It'll raise my bars another 1" or so.. I;ll be able to put the handlebars exactly at the right level I need for my back. Lookin forward to riding regularly again.. especially with some gears.. ;) ;)

I want to get out and do some offroading!
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  17. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member