Gear Box Lubrication? (Huasheng 49cc with the teardrop gear box)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Stoltzee, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

I am curious as to the lubrication of the gears and chain (s) inside this box. I have noticed a spot of lubricant on the screws occasionally, and wonder if that thing contains any lubricant. The first time I ran the bike it became fairly hot, but I removed the heat shields, and the hole thing seems cooler.
    I have been toying with the idea of drilling and tapping a hole level with the lower rear gear Then maybe filling it up to the hole with 90 weight gear oil, but not until I find out more about this thing.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

2. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

If this is a "Hoot" gearbox take it off and throw away......you will never have any success with it....

3. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

I have the Flying Horse 2011 5G 4-Stroke Centrifugal Transfer Case.
    I've learned that there's no fancy play with these. Throttle it and go. Release throttle and stop. Try to avoid the inbetweeners.

4. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

5. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

Sorry to tell you, but this is a "hoot" gearbox....the biggest piece of junk ever made......use it till it gives up the ghost then install something better.....

6. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

Darn! Ironically I could have gotten the same kit with a belt drive from another seller for the same price I paid at BB plus I may have gotten the parts they advertised with the kit. Wrong sprocket, grips, chain tensioner, and a Hoot.

7. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Yeah I know, This is a 8 month old thread. I'm just hoping someone fubar'ed one of these and would be willing to sell me the drive gear off of it. Bikeberry, (where it was purchased,) in it's infinite wisdom, Suggests that you "file it to fit". (huh, really?) So now I have a drive gear that a customer filed down beyond use. Of course "Bikefairy" NEVER has parts in stock, and nobody else even wants to carry this POS transfer case. SO HELP, PLEASE. Anyone got one? I'll give you a few bucks and pay for shipping.
    Thanks,
    Big Red.

8. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

5G, that really wide dual chain monstrosity, can't help you with parts for that but I have a brand new 4G belt drive that won't fit on this 49cc HS 4-stroke that had the equally useless Stage III 3 gear drive.
    The 4G was $99 delivered, you can have it for $50 if you pay shipping from Phoenix 85021.

Note the belt drive clutch bell is 3" diameter, I don't remember what the 5G had attached to the motor.
    Or is that inner clutch part your problem?

9. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

I have a NEW hoot gearbox, took it off and it was NEVER even installed, it is missing the screws that holds it together.....In spite of what KC says , I've been using the same stage 111 gearbox for over 5 years..it is great if used properly.. DON't depend on the titles used for these gearbox...different companies & people call the same box something different....send me a PM for more info

10. KCvale

I've had 2 Stage III's I didn't build in the shop with the same problem in 2 weeks, both with minimal (under 100) miles on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwx_NxkWoDg&feature=youtu.be

They were not run without 10W oil, the bushing just failed and trashed the clutch bell gear.
    I built a 5G and had no return for service but it's so wide it is awkward to me to even get my leeft foot on the pedal/
    The 4G belt drives however have been a dream and are half as fat.

11. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

I am not promoting the Stage 111, just telling of my experience.....I use axle grease in the gearbox , not oil, the engager is permently locked in the engaged position....In fact, the same gearbox is now on a new HS engine....and still going....

Big Red likes this.
  12. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Ya FINALLY answered the original question from Stoltzee about how to lube one of these things. Everyone was so caught up in knocking it that they never answered his question.
    Thanks dougsr,
    Big Red.

13. KCvale

Cool, what axle grease exactly?

This the Grubee manual for it.
    http://grubeeinc.com/USA/Stage III.htm

This is the part about the Stage 3 oil.

[​IMG]

I'd sure like to know exactly what you use as I have one sitting here right now waiting on a new bell/gear and bushing.

14. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

15. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Just out of curiosity I opened up the POS HOOT gear box. The only lube inside is some HD gear grease, And most of it was laying in the case, NOT on the gear or chain. I also noticed that there is no gasket, so it was never designed to hold any type of oil, 10wt, 90wt or any kind of "wet" lube.
    So, I just used the BIG GLOBS of grease I found laying in the case and used it to do a better lube on the chain and gears. It turns a LOT smoother now so I'm gonna run with it.
    And since I can't seem to find a new final drive gear for it, I'm going to drill out one of my 2 stroke gears to fit snug and weld it to the shaft. When this box gives out the customer can just buy another one. Hopefully something better next time.
    Big Red.

16. KCvale

From the link about the grease.

"Mobilgrease XHP 220 greases are extended service lithium complex greases intended for a wide variety of applications and severe operating conditions. "

Heck I have a tube of Lithium grease right here on the shelf, I'll give it a try.
    Thanks ;-}