Harbor Freight #97964 79.5cc 2.5HP - now what?

I have one of the 6.5 HF. The output shaft is 3/4". If you remove the gov. rejet carb, put on a pipe header and 18lb valve springs you will get over 10HP from it. This engine is used by many in the cart racing community. A few more mods will produce 13 to 15HP. That's about as far as you may want to go with this engine. This is a clone of the Honda 6.5 which is sometimes modified to put out 40 to 48HP for cart racing. All of this is way too much power for a standard bicycle frame and would put life and limb in danger! But! Some are building a stronge frame and using this kind of power mated to a comet 44 torque converter. It can be used to repower an old motorcycle with a dead engine.

tjs whats a comet 44 torque converter and where can I get one I wanna make something for property in Wisconsin may be rear mount it on a trike not for on the road use kinda like a homemade 4 wheeler need it to haul stuff around thiunk it can work I have a 6hp honda on my power waSHER works great funny I was looking at it wondering if something like it would work let me know Larry

Action alert! HF 79cc Greyhound on sale until 11/25

Harbor Freight has the 79cc Greyhound engine on sale at $94.99 until 11/25/10. If you get any number of magazines Harbor Freight advertizes in they have a 20% coupon you can clip and use on most items. You can use it on this sale. I just went today, used the coupon that I clipped from my Car & Driver magazine and was out the door with one for $75.99 plus tax! :D

Hi mholder,

The Q-Matic is slightly less for the 49 CC motor because it is the stock production drive and we mfg. in large quanities. The Q-Matic for the HF motors uses a more expensive AX series belt and a larger primary pulley, therefore is more costly [not much difference].

Have fun,

Back