Has anyone had this happen? HS 49 rocker arm shaft damage

MBR your right after looking at it again. Been awhile since I had a HS and I remember doing the valves that the cover I almost put on backwards or something. Thought that might be the problem. Wonder if the Honda is exactly the same? Been couple of years since I've adjusted the valves on one.
Yes the Honda is the same except the Honda parts look better.

Looks like a new issue to me. I had to take the cover off a new motor to see how the pin is secured. I will attach a picture to help explain how the pin is held in "check". At the rear of the pin [rear side of motor, nearest carburetor], the boss has a flat spot to stop the pin from moving, nothing stops the pin from moving forward, however it appears the pin only wants to move towards the rear when the motor is running.
I also checked a Honda GXH50 test motor in the shop and it is made the same way.

Looks like the barrier allowed the pin to move in both directions on your motor.

I would think there are several easy options to fix the issue. Reconstruct the barrier on the head with anything from JB Weld to strong epoxy mixtures. A simple application of "sleeve retainer", Loctite green or any other high strength liquid where the pin sits in the guide hole.

Motor can be "short blocked" if under warranty [EZM motors carry a 1 year warranty].

Have fun,

Attachments

• Rocker pin support.JPG
    Rocker pin support.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 200
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 198
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 213
Hi Guenther, thanks for spending the time to help me with this. I have had 5,000 miles of trouble free service with this engine and it still runs the same as ever. I could not see that there was ever a "block" present as shown in your photo. Nevertheless, I used JB Weld to build up the stop block according to your suggestion. Thanks again

If you have any problems with the shaft in the future, we can make a small collar [locate between pin guides] to hold the pin in place. Just let us know if you need any help.

Have fun,
Quenton

neat. easy fix but. maybe a bad batch of castings. more likely management saying remove excess lumps, save us money!

ive had those rocker bearing thingies break off completely ( idont know how...) but never seen a wanderer like that!

5000 was pretty good innings too

Back