Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KiDD, Feb 19, 2008.

1. KiDD

KiDD Member

I've been thinking about making a motorized bicycle for a while now and have decided that I am going to do it. I need to ditch my car because it eats my money.

I'm looking to build something I can commute to work and school. Something sturdy and comfortable to ride for the 10 mile commute.

What is a good combination of bike and motor kit?
    I just want to buy a bike from somewhere and slap a motor on it. Any suggestions for bike choice? I know I want something with shocks on it for ride comfort. And what would be the best engine? I don't want to do too much pedaling.

2. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

G'day man and welcome to MBc.
    Read as much as possible here first,then make a more informed decision from there.Once u have the basics set in your own mind start a thread and ask for peoples comments/suggestions.Millions of choices out there so u gotta narrow it down...2-stroke/4-stroke...frame mount/rear mount/budget,etc.
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

hi kidd...i fixed yer username for you.

4. KiDD

KiDD Member

Thank you augidog.

I was thinking about a 4 stroke for reliability and longer distance rides, but I'm not too thrilled with rack mount set-ups and was looking for one that was frame mounted, but I don't see any in a kit? I understand that you can't drive 2stroke as long/hard as you can 4stroke, and need to let them rest? Or do I have that backwards?
    As for the bike I was just looking at some cheap cruisers like the Cranbrook or something with a front spring for ride comfort.
  5. mickey

mickey Guest

Welcome Kidd. Any of the motor combinations will be up to a 10 minute commute. I've driven for an hour straight on my 2 stroke china frame mount at a steady 24 mph and it never missed a beat. Its hard to beat the cheapness of the Happy Time motor but they can be ... needy. Read read read and don't be in too much of a rush.
  6. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Welcome to MBc. :cool:
  7. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

The exact same reasons I ditched the car for scrap metal and it paid for most part of the kit. The money saved on motor car costs by having a bike with a cheap China motor, when the motor is due for renewal, you'ed have saved enough to have purchased, many.
    Do the numbers and you will see.

Good Luck !
  8. You really can't go wrong with the 2 strokes. Make sure you well oil it in your gas and run it easy. 15 to 20 is good for any bike.
    I take my 70cc 2 stroke on 60 mile round trips some days. Lubrication is key,and she'll run forever.
    Remember too that this is not a motorcycle but it will feel like one. Motorcycles have those wonderful long cushiony seats. Motoredbikes don't.
    Your gonna want to find the widest most comfortable seat around.
  9. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Welcome to MBc.
  10. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D
  11. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Gander through the postings. You will get all and more information about making your decision. And welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!