Help anyone know a way to fuse aluminum and steel

prairie breeze

Local time
12:02 AM
I really want to build this chop but don't have any ideas for fusing the aluminum piece to the new steal bottom tube any advice?

Attachments

• 100_0132.jpg
    100_0132.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 528
  • 100_0133.jpg
    100_0133.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 487
yes, it can be done by welding, but there are some very special techniques and materials that need to be used to get it done.
you have to use bimetallic transition inserts or you have to coat the dissimilar materials prior to welding. this can be expensive.
i would personally not use an aluminum frame for a m.b. and the expense to getting the steel welded to the aluminum would be more than trying to find an all steel frame already done, or 2 steel frames that you can cut up and weld together.

(i got the following info from the web)

Bimetallic transition materials are available commercially in combinations of aluminum to such other materials as steel, stainless steel and copper. These inserts are best described as sections of material that are comprised of one part aluminum with another material already bonded to the aluminum. The method used for bonding these dissimilar materials together, and thus forming the bimetallic transition.
basically you get a peice that is 1/2 steel and 1/2 aluminum. you weld the steel end to the steel part and then weld the aluminum end to the aluminum part.

A coating can be applied to steel to facilitate its arc welding to aluminum. One method is to coat the steel with aluminum. This is sometimes achieved by dip coating (hot dip aluminizing), or brazing the aluminum to the surface of the steel. Once coated, the steel member can be arc welded to the aluminum member, if care is taken to prevent the arc from impinging on the steel.

Last edited:
sounds like it can be done but at the cost i could buy a chop frame from one of the various online sites. lol

KHS used to build a soft tail bike with an alum front triangle and steel rear triangle. The old Raleigh Technums and some of the Univega road bikes had a similar setup. They didn't provide a lot of details in how they did it.

I really want to build this chop but don't have any ideas for fusing the aluminum piece to the new steal bottom tube any advice?

Hi. I like the lines of your potential frame.

Tell me.... what part is (parts are) aluminum? All the Next bikes I have seen are steel.

the red part from the neck down is aluminum i think i figured a way i could bolt it together but i am afraid it will never have the strength.

I have never done any welding or frame fabricating, but I would think that if you are going to do that much fabricating, you would be better off starting with all-steel.

TRaleigh Technium

Back in the day I used to sell Raleigh Technium mountain bikes and they had some problems. Granted, the frame design was not really good for off road, but the main flaw I noted was that they felt "dead" and unresponsive.

Something about them that did not work. They were fairly light for the time but they never "Jumped", they just sat there. The steel Mongooses I sold at the same time(back when mongoose was "hot" and not Walmart fair) were a bit heavier but a lot more fun to ride.

I think you could bond steel and aluminum together, probably with carbon fiber "lugs" like they do with bamboo frames but I don't think it would achieve a bike that has the properties that you are looking for.

mike

I'd just get the all-steel one, as I personally am paranoid, and hate the thought of something breaking beneath me when placed under stress. But that's just me. . . ;D

Back