Chains Help! Chain hits fender & tire

chain to tire clearance fixed

Sorry about the reply. I did a couple of replies but I think I screwed them up & posted it in the wrong place. Yes I did make new motor mounts and offset the motor 1/2 inch. Also offset the rear sprocket about 3/8. Used regular nuts as spacers between the spoke thing & sprocket. Welded spacers on the inside on the coaster brake arm. Couldn't bend it quite enough cuz it was to far back in the sprocket hole. Also made the hole bigger. Then had to bend the pedal crank and the muffler. A lot more work than I ever thought. BUT, it runs & rides great. Had a brake problem but it was due to poor welding. I need help there. Motor mounts were made from 1/4 aluminum plate with offset holes & a 1 5/8 muffler bracket u bolt. Thats on the front. The rear is a 1/4 plate with offset holes & a stock u bolt.

Chain Hits

Sorry about the reply. I did a couple of replies but I think I screwed them up & posted it in the wrong place. Yes I did make new motor mounts and offset the motor 1/2 inch. Also offset the rear sprocket about 3/8. Used regular nuts as spacers between the spoke thing & sprocket. Welded spacers on the inside on the coaster brake arm. Couldn't bend it quite enough cuz it was to far back in the sprocket hole. Also made the hole bigger. Then had to bend the pedal crank and the muffler. A lot more work than I ever thought. BUT, it runs & rides great. Had a brake problem but it was due to poor welding. I need help there. Motor mounts were made from 1/4 aluminum plate with offset holes & a 1 5/8 muffler bracket u bolt. Thats on the front. The rear is a 1/4 plate with offset holes & a stock u bolt.
Where's The Pics Bro? Off setting an engine ain't easy, I'd like to see it.
Shiney Side Up,
Big Red.

My pics are on the "picture gallery" page 8 "my two builds" dated 8/13/2011. The offset is only 3/8" or 1/2". Doesn't sound like much but it keeps chain from hitting tire etc. I used a "creative eng"sprocket and was able to bend the brake arm enough to clear. Like jroyse said you just take some alum plate and shift your holes over. I purchased an offset mount from (can't remember}and used it for the back and rigged a plate for the front. You can't tell the pedal was bent 1/2" so it would not hit the motor. Lesson learned was once you modify something it doesn't end there. It comes back to bite you through the whole build. That's what makes all this so much fun (frustrating!!).

Bob's Bikes

Nice clean builds Bob, Great job. Are ya gonna put the rear fender back on the cruiser? That or take the front one off, But thats just me, What do I know?
In this hobby fun and frustrating are the same word.
Shiney Side Up,
Big Red.

All the fenders are on. Yes I check them often. Reading all the posts makes me paranoid.(loose fenders etc)I'll have to put up new pics since I added all the goodies(mirrors,horn,lights)

rear fender on

Finished product (never finished) how about most recent pics

Attachments

• `bike 026.jpg
    `bike 026.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 299
  • `bike 028.jpg
    `bike 028.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 250
  • `bike 025.jpg
    `bike 025.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 266
Great looking bike! I like that tail light. I see you added the extra fender braces. I have since done the same. Got Whizzer braces - much heavier than the original. Just had a buddy do some pinstriping on the gas tank so its not back on the bike yet. I've only had 2 short rides and the bike runs great. I noticed the springer fork is so stiff it usually doesn't move. My real Whizzer bike has a smaller diameter wire spring and works very well. I'll try to post some motor mount pix.

Attachments

• 100_2851.jpg
    100_2851.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_2854.jpg
    100_2854.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_2855.jpg
    100_2855.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 238
forgot to ask what kind of lights did you use? They look good. I'll post some more pix when I get mine back together again. To cold here to ride. Yuk, thats the way it is in Michigan.

Back