Help choosing a bike to ride to work

I don't know how far it is to your work, but I wouldn't even consider electric. Decent range literally costs as much as a new motorcycle. And the batteries don't last that well. If your route is fairly flat, I would definitely go with friction drive. Using a 2 stroke chain drive chinese engine involves a multitude of problems, such as the rag joint rear sprocket, the designed in hell clamp on chain tensioner, the fact that the engine is not likely to fit without a lot of fabrication, the gas tank probably won't fit right either, the crank may hit the muffler, and the engines themselves are basically junk. Yes I've been down that road before. I learned my lesson the hard way. I recommend either the 38cc or 49cc Lock-N-Load kit from BikeBerry. It has a 4 stroke engine , so it is quieter than a 4 stroke, and doesn't leave a trail of smoke to piss off pedal bike riders. You can get by with a cheap Wallyworld bike, but you can usually find a MUCH better name brand used bike on Craigslist for just a little more. I don't think Wally sells the Cranbrook anymore, but IMO anyway, you need a bike with front brakes if you are going to put a motor on it. If you are not a cyclist, I would suggest either a beach cruiser with front brakes, a comfort bike, or making modifications to a mountain bike, mainly putting a much larger seat and suspension seatpost on it, and raising the bars to a comfortable level. Most mountain bikes have bars that are several inches too low, and the riding position is VERY painful. I like an upright seating position and a nice soft, wide seat.

My state has a max speed of 20 mph. We are allowed to use the bike lanes. If you are allowed to use the bike lanes, ALWAYS keep your speed down to what riders on pedal bikes are going. Pedal bikes have the right of way, and we are in jeopardy of losing our right to ride motorized bikes because of all the speed crazed idiots riding too fast, jumping curbs, riding on the sidewalk, riding through parks, riding without a muffler, or with a loud expansion chamber. The law specifically states "motor ASSISTED bicycle" If speed is your thing, get a scooter or motorcycle.

"you could buy a damn good 450 watt, sub 30kg gross, 15ah 36v lifepo4 24 speed, alloy mtb for $1500US~, range 25 miles easy on motor alone."

I'd like to know where. Everything I've looked at with a 25 mile no pedal range has been more than twice that. I would not consider an electric bike to ride to work, but I would like to have one just for pleasure riding on this great bike path that runs along a canal bank we are lucky enough to have near my house. Back when I could pedal, I used to ride on that path all the time. Gas powered bikes are not allowed, but electric bikes are. Due to serious knee problems, I cannot pedal anymore. The range given for most electric bikes says "with normal pedaling" What would you want an electric bike for if you have to pedal? FYI, I was looking at Pedego bikes. We have a dealer close by. I would have to buy their top of the line bike, plus a spare battery to get sufficient range.

further, range is iffy as we all know.

my approach is, knowing in my case, what motive force i can expect with full power on my 350w ebike, i translate journeys (and recharge times after trips) into how many minutes of the equivalent of full power it would consume. so for lifepo4 which gives a pretty genuine rating, 10ah of 36v gives me a full hour of full power, which is nothing like most trips, but helps to estimate in a balanced way. so 15ah on an in my view adequate 350w ( tho 450w does sound a nice balance), is 1.5hrs of full power, or surely 3 hrs of real world riding -as far as i would want to go certainly.

i saw some numbers recently. vague, but along the lines that at 25kph/mph? whatever, on a drop bar roadbike in still air, 100 watts is required on the flat. each extra 100w adds only 5 m or k ph. ie- speed/wind resistance kill range dead. in the real world, speed makes road shocks too, another range killer.

so at 25k/mph on a flatbar mtb, 150w per hour is enough methinks. 15 amp 36v is 540wh, or 3 hrs at 25kph, or 75k or miles?, ridden calmly?

sorry, too tired to find the link re speed/power

ps

another link

http://www.offerany.com/p-39146513044.html

Last edited:
I don't know how far it is to your work, but I wouldn't even consider electric. Decent range literally costs as much as a new motorcycle. And the batteries don't last that well. If your route is fairly flat, I would definitely go with friction drive. Using a 2 stroke chain drive chinese engine involves a multitude of problems, such as the rag joint rear sprocket, the designed in hell clamp on chain tensioner, the fact that the engine is not likely to fit without a lot of fabrication, the gas tank probably won't fit right either, the crank may hit the muffler, and the engines themselves are basically junk. Yes I've been down that road before. I learned my lesson the hard way. I recommend either the 38cc or 49cc Lock-N-Load kit from BikeBerry. It has a 4 stroke engine , so it is quieter than a 4 stroke, and doesn't leave a trail of smoke to piss off pedal bike riders. You can get by with a cheap Wallyworld bike, but you can usually find a MUCH better name brand used bike on Craigslist for just a little more. I don't think Wally sells the Cranbrook anymore, but IMO anyway, you need a bike with front brakes if you are going to put a motor on it. If you are not a cyclist, I would suggest either a beach cruiser with front brakes, a comfort bike, or making modifications to a mountain bike, mainly putting a much larger seat and suspension seatpost on it, and raising the bars to a comfortable level. Most mountain bikes have bars that are several inches too low, and the riding position is VERY painful. I like an upright seating position and a nice soft, wide seat.

My state has a max speed of 20 mph. We are allowed to use the bike lanes. If you are allowed to use the bike lanes, ALWAYS keep your speed down to what riders on pedal bikes are going. Pedal bikes have the right of way, and we are in jeopardy of losing our right to ride motorized bikes because of all the speed crazed idiots riding too fast, jumping curbs, riding on the sidewalk, riding through parks, riding without a muffler, or with a loud expansion chamber. The law specifically states "motor ASSISTED bicycle" If speed is your thing, get a scooter or motorcycle.

"you could buy a damn good 450 watt, sub 30kg gross, 15ah 36v lifepo4 24 speed, alloy mtb for $1500US~, range 25 miles easy on motor alone."

I'd like to know where. Everything I've looked at with a 25 mile no pedal range has been more than twice that. I would not consider an electric bike to ride to work, but I would like to have one just for pleasure riding on this great bike path that runs along a canal bank we are lucky enough to have near my house. Back when I could pedal, I used to ride on that path all the time. Gas powered bikes are not allowed, but electric bikes are. Due to serious knee problems, I cannot pedal anymore. The range given for most electric bikes says "with normal pedaling" What would you want an electric bike for if you have to pedal? FYI, I was looking at Pedego bikes. We have a dealer close by. I would have to buy their top of the line bike, plus a spare battery to get sufficient range.

from another post:

after 3 years of owning one, i am convinced its a clear winner and inexpensive, but gets almost zero attention that i can find.

this is the company

http://suzhoulongyue.en.made-in-chi...sRkL/Mountain-Electric-bicycle-catalog-1.html

i have ~:

http://suzhoulongyue.en.made-in-chi...VC/China-Mountain-Electric-Bike-Tda1501z.html

whats special and well hidden (~never shown in promo photos) for some reason, is the elegant, direct drive to pedal crank, stealthy, 3 ring compatible motor

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...Eou&q=bofeili-sport-275&imgrc=DJPRT6kLf8YKEM:

there is also a model with a conventional triangle mtb frame, which i prefer due to better battery placement options than the elegant and prettier frame i have. my plan for a biggish 15ah 36v lifepo4 (5-6kg) for mine is to bolt to the frame just behind the seat post - atop the rack mounts. not perfect, but lower & more central than a rear rack battery.

i have seen chinese 1 off vendors of these, longyue themselves do 1x i think on aliexpress, who will sell at a fair discount w/o battery, which is great if you prefer lifepo4 from another source, as i do.

I can buy them retail in oz for ~1750a$ complete, so maybe 1850$ w/ the better battery. all things being equal.

some detective work needed still, but uk/eu/usa must surely sell them someplace under some label/model. for ~$1500 US.

Back